I think my Beardie just died.

This forum is for urgent health concerns, where your beardie seems very ill and you need immediate help!

I think my Beardie just died.

Postby MintTea » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:31 pm

Bought my Beardie a week after Christmas the pet store just got them in. Have a 20 gallon tank, uv lighting, basking light and heat light. Feed him only crickets and dust them one a week. This morning found him in his water dish. The dish had only enough water to wet his belly. If that much. Then this afternoon he changed position in the dish and the water had dried up. I decided to pick him up to check on him and he didn’t move body seems stiff but I could of sworn I saw his eye lid close and then open a bit. This can’t be. Is there anyway for sure to know if he’s dead? What did I do wrong? I feel like a failure and bad person.
MintTea
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: I think my Beardie just died.

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:21 pm

Take him a vet and ask them to check for signs life. Most vets have portable handheld doppler ultrasounds and if there is any blood flow it will be picked up using one.
CBDs: Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Lucky - cat attack rescue, fatal SI RIP 21Jul210.Wriggles - rescued injured ,thought she was a big lizard, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16. Fluffy - 4yr rescued lawnmowing accident victim 14Nov17 .
kingofnobbys
BD.org Addict

Postby Drache613 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:08 am

Hello,

Oh dear, I am sorry this has happened.
Do you see any signs of breathing, etc from him? Is it possible that he aspirated some water
from his water dish?
I would remove his water dish though, in case he got too chilled or did accidentally choke on
some water overnight.
Let us know how things are going. I agree, if you can get him to a vet for analysis, that would
be helpful. You don't want to bury him if he is still with you.

Tracie
Drache613

Postby KarrieRee » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:19 am

I was told by a vet to pinch their tail really hard and it they are alive they will move it
just a suggestion
Karrie
KarrieRee
Sub-Adult Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby Gormagon » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:07 am

KarrieRee wrote:I was told by a vet to pinch their tail really hard and it they are alive they will move it
just a suggestion
Karrie

WHAT!!?? What kind of a vet do you go to? Does he have a bone through his nose?
If you did that, you could break bones in the tail....WOW !
Much less harmful to just turn it on it's back. If he has signs of life he will try to right himself.
The wonderful world of bearded dragons is a magical land of mystery, enchantment, cuddles, love and, worry! A mysterious realm where things always seem to change in an instant and, the moment you think you have it all figured out, the rules change! You think you own your dragon, guess again. You are now a slave!!!
RIP Peaches 10-1-18 Forever in my Heart
Gormagon
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:32 am

It was a vet on line- I first tried putting her under running water no response then pinched the sides of tail no response- she was gone-
Karrie
KarrieRee
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby Gormagon » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:44 am

KarrieRee wrote:It was a vet on line- I first tried putting her under running water no response then pinched the sides of tail no response- she was gone-
Karrie

I am sorry for your loss.
Online medical help sites, most times can not be taken seriously, even vets. I don't trust them at all.
The wonderful world of bearded dragons is a magical land of mystery, enchantment, cuddles, love and, worry! A mysterious realm where things always seem to change in an instant and, the moment you think you have it all figured out, the rules change! You think you own your dragon, guess again. You are now a slave!!!
RIP Peaches 10-1-18 Forever in my Heart
Gormagon
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby Drache613 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:09 pm

Hello,

I don't think the OP has answered back??
I hope they update us on their dragon.
I agree, the online doctors/vets are not always 100%.

Tracie
Drache613

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Beardie ER