Snowed in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright I'm in a bit of a dilemma and decided to consult the professionals.
So we're 100% out of crickets.
It snowed a half foot and the roads are icy and my parents won't drive me anywhere because of the conditions. The only place with crickets I know of is 20 minutes away, and with all the ice and stuff on the highways it's not safe. We ordered crickets online two days ago so they should be here tomorrow or on Monday, but now we're not sure if the trucks will be able to get through (it's supposed to snow another foot tomorrow night and is snowing nonstop until then and for the rest of the week).
My beardie is about 7-8 months old. Will he be okay for one day while we try to find a solution? I can get him greens we're just out of insects. My mom suggested going to Walmart and seeing if they have freeze dried crickets or something like that. Would that work??
Any suggestions are appreciated because I have no idea what I should do. Thank you.

Hikari

My beardie went around two days on just greens while I waited for more food to arrive, and she's younger than yours, so I think it'd be fine.

See if your parents will invest in some Respashy Grub Pie, if you can. That stuff is a godsend for this time of year when feeders might be harder to get. It's my dragon's current staple, since I'm also in the same boat with being out of feeders. Chewy.com has $5 flat rate 1-2 day shipping, and even the 3oz bottle will last quite a while. It's super easy to make too, and can be made in batches and refrigerated. TBH, I'm kinda debating just switching over to it outright and foregoing feeder insects altogether (at least until my dubia colony finally picks up).

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, at that age he will be fine even for a week without bugs. Beardies are very hardy. If you have eggs in the hose, scramble one with no oil + microwave for a minute. Feed him a few small pieces, most beardies enjoy it but don't give him too much because it's very rich.

YesIJustGotADragon

Original Poster
Thank you guys!
A little update tho... We're supposed to get up to 36 inches in the next day and it's showing no sign of stopping. I'm now worried about a power outage. Kinda freaking out; how should I keep Ozzi warm/basking? I'm sure there's an answer. I'll try to do my research but any other advice is awesome, thanks.

Hikari

YesIJustGotADragon":1eqhvvy7 said:
Thank you guys!
A little update tho... We're supposed to get up to 36 inches in the next day and it's showing no sign of stopping. I'm now worried about a power outage. Kinda freaking out; how should I keep Ozzi warm/basking? I'm sure there's an answer. I'll try to do my research but any other advice is awesome, thanks.

Do you have any of those little hand warmers/heat packs? Those can do well in a short-term outage. Also, worst case, remember that you, as a human, are rather toasty as well. I'm sure your beardie would be happy to snuggle with you to keep warm (I know mine is quite content to do so even with a functioning basking bulb). He'll be okay missing a bit of UVB for a little while.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hopefully if there IS a power outage it won't be more than a day. Your body heat while your dragon is tucked under your coat/sweater is the best thing. Handwarmers are fine but must be wrapped up to be 100% sure your dragon can't come in contact with them, they get up to 160 F and can cause a serious burn .

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Does your house have a fireplace? Battery operated thermometers in the enclosure and move the enclosure to same place as fireplace. I have done this once for a frog, short time only a day, but not with a bearded dragon. I'm about to get hit my snow and the fireplace is my main heat backup plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom