Medecation suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Is there anybody that could tell me I apologize but rather quickly what would be the best medication for a respiratory infection

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Best persons to ask is Tracie Drache613- ABHD --- you can PM them if they dont respond to this post first
Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Find a local reptile vet and have them examine the dragon. They will prescribe the proper medication/s and advise on treatment.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hey "king," I don't know if you recall my "situation," post posts about my dragons and the local vets. There's only a couple in my area and I don't have a ton of confidence in them. Example, in the past one of them prescribed meds for pin worms without a positive fecal to warrant it. However, I did take RJ to the vet because i felt i heard some occasional subtle noises when he breathes. He did an xray and said he saw nothing. Said appears to be in great health. However, not sure if he was trying to ease my concerns or if he was justified, but he said he wanted to do a we week of antibiotics, (2x a day) his words, "in case there's some bacterial infection that couldn't be seen on the xray." I can't recall the meds, they're at home and i've not yet started them, sulfa- something or other. Should I go ahead and administer the medecine? He also hasn't been eating for a bit. He's been out of "brumation" for maybe a month. (I don't allow him to fully brumate, as he's ADV positive, but same as last year, I just cut the hours of the lights down a bit and he basically just stayed in his "corner" and slept A LOT. Also, as with last year, when he was "done," he started running around his enclosure like a mad man all day. But after a few weeks he started eating a lot. I've given him a couple slurrys with vitamins over the past week, a few days ago I force fed two crickets, and he willingly ate three super worms. Yesterday he finally ate a horn worm and four more supers. But that's about it. He's been extremely good about taking water though. Guess i just wanted to give a little background. Please let me know what you think I should do about the medecine. If you need the full name of the medecine I will get it when i get home. Thanks so much

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I'm not a vet , and as far as I know none of the frequent posters or mods here are . So not qualified to suggest medication .

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's best to do testing before prescribing meds. Especially when an infection is suspected. There are different types of bacteria (and viruses) that can cause infection and they respond to different medications. There are broad spectrum antibiotics that you read about a lot, and they can treat a wide range of infections, however they may be ineffective and harmful in some situations. Antibiotics in general can be very harsh on a dragon's system so I feel it's best to avoid them unless necessary and they are being used to target something specific that was found during testing. Granted, this is more difficult when you don't have an experienced reptile vet in the area.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
CooperDragon":9lucri2x said:
It's best to do testing before prescribing meds. Especially when an infection is suspected. There are different types of bacteria (and viruses) that can cause infection and they respond to different medications. There are broad spectrum antibiotics that you read about a lot, and they can treat a wide range of infections, however they may be ineffective and harmful in some situations. Antibiotics in general can be very harsh on a dragon's system so I feel it's best to avoid them unless necessary and they are being used to target something specific that was found during testing. Granted, this is more difficult when you don't have an experienced reptile vet in the area.

All vets send off samples to the same pathologists for testing. So identification of the appropriate med requires a vet , and then a pathologist , then a microbiologist recommends the most effective med against the germs found.
And the vet works out the doseage . (Nearly all meds toxic / poisonous if used in too high a dose.)
Home medication is stupid for infections unless you are VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE and should be left to the professionals and is not the domain of a messageboard.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

What type of symptoms does your dragon have currently if any?
Do you have medications at home for him?
Normally, most vets prescribe Baytril or Tylan for a respiratory infection. Do you have a
nebulizer at home you could use, for a daily treatment using sterile saline solution?

For now, keep him a little warmer overnight around 80 or so, in case he is developing a
respiratory infection.

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Can you get a video of it ? As Tracie stated you might keep his temps. up just a bit more, esp. a night. He may not actually have an R.I or may just have the beginning of one that can be nipped in the bud with warmer temps. to boost his immune system.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hey "king" thanks for all your help, I mean lack of. If you have nothing useful maybe not be negative about the people who are being helpful. Since you obviously didn't read, I TOOK HIM TO THE VET, THE VET , AS BEFORE, PRESCRIBED MEDS BEFORE KNOWING THE PROBLEM. But I guess I should just give him the meds, cuz they came from a vet, even though he doesn't appear very knowledgeable. Ya sure thing
Just make sure if you have a problem with your beardie you take him to this vet too and do exactly what he tells you without questioning him

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Hey tracie, The meds I have are what the very grave me, some sulfa stuff. I don't have a nebulizer. The only symptoms are a faint occasional noise. He also, maybe normal, after drinking water, kinda breathes out and his throat puffs out a bit, breathes in and his stomach puffs out a bit. He's not been eating, but that might be from coming out of "brumation."

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Tracie, also, aren't nebulizers suppose to go on your face? How does it work with a dragon?

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Sorry sorry, also I never heard back on your thoughts as to what I could do about shed on some spikes that won't come off.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Won't the nebulizer create humidity? How long would you run it for? And how often? I know you said daily, but how long?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Nebulizers that are used for this type of treatment are used by fogging/misting them in a
chamber. You can makeshift a chamber by using a plastic bin & cutting a hole to where
the hose that delivers the medication in goes. You would need to seal it so the meds would
not leak out around the hole where the hose goes into.
You don't nebulize in their tank where they live but it wont really create any humidity though
or not enough to worry about. If you do the nebulization you can go for 15-20 minutes daily,
if it is well tolerated.
Does he make any clicking noises or popping noises that could be associated with being
stopped up like someone sounds when they have a cold, etc? If the vet gave you a TMZ
or sulfa based med, that may or may not touch a respiratory infection. Tylan or Baytril are
usually better medications to use for respiratory infections.
You can try shea butter, olive or coconut oil for problem sheds. You are giving a few baths
here & there to help with shedding too?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom