Basking Light Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello hello!
My name is Violet, I’ll be getting my first ever beardie on Tuesday! I’ve been researching for a couple of years now. This week I did the tank setup, I have a 40 gallon breeder tank. I got the tube UVB bulb and had my husband jerryrig it into the tank (he attached it to the screen top). Anywho, my biggest issue right now is the heating of my tank! I’ve tried a 75 watt bulb, the basking area only rose to about 85 degrees on the hot side, and 70 degrees on the cool side. I then went and got an 100 Watt bulb yesterday thinking it would fix my problem but the hot side only increased to 95 degrees and the cool side around 80 degrees. Do you all think I should increase it to 150 Watt bulb? I’m not sure what to do at this point but I want to make sure everything is good to go before my little guy gets here next week. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
How are you taking the temps? Are you using a Infrared heat gun? And the UVB what kind did you get?
Karrie

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
Hi! Congrats on the soon-to-be yours Beardie, and kudos to you for researching so thoroughly. If you're getting an adult, those air temps could work (basking spot surface temp is higher though?), but if the basking spot is hot enough and you just need to raise the ambient temps, consider adding a ceramic heat emitter. (I've also seen suggestions to add just s plain old incandescent household bulb, but I can tell you I have a heck of a time finding any these days - all the household bulbs are cf or led, which put out very little heat).

VioletEclair

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3csff9r2 said:
How are you taking the temps? Are you using a Infrared heat gun? And the UVB what kind did you get?
Karrie

I got the Zilla Slimline Desert 50 UVB T8. I have ordered a infrared heat gun, it should get here by Monday at the latest. I’ve placed the thermometers I do have on the floor of the tank on the cool side, and one on the top of the basking rock

VioletEclair

Original Poster
JumpinJellyfish":1oszf215 said:
Hi! Congrats on the soon-to-be yours Beardie, and kudos to you for researching so thoroughly. If you're getting an adult, those air temps could work (basking spot surface temp is higher though?), but if the basking spot is hot enough and you just need to raise the ambient temps, consider adding a ceramic heat emitter. (I've also seen suggestions to add just s plain old incandescent household bulb, but I can tell you I have a heck of a time finding any these days - all the household bulbs are cf or led, which put out very little heat).

Thank you so much! I’m getting a baby beardie from a breeder. He’s 7 inches long and gorgeous <3
My husband is worried that adding more things like a heat emitter would cause a fire. I’ve been doing lots of research on fire safety but he’s not convinced sadly. So I’m trying to keep just the one lamp but I may have to put my foot down

VioletEclair

Original Poster
My husband also suggested we cut a hole in the mesh screen to increase the heat output but I’m not sure how well that would work anyway! I also don’t want to cut a hole in the screen and I am worried putting the lamp closer in the tank will hurt my little guy.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The Zilla T 8 will work but it is not what every one on here recommends- this is what is recommended
Reptisun 10 T5, or the Arcadia D3 12% or 14% T5 tube, both of which are very good. You will need a T5 light fixture also. If you decide to use the Zilla I would suggest it go into the tank - simply because of the UVB rays - it is not a strong bulb- and the mesh screen will filter out alot of the rays-- the heat emitter will heat tank up air temp wise - and they are not as dangerous as he thinks they are granted if they hit the floor like mine did once it can cause a fire - anyway -- you can always make his basking spot higher but I would get the infrared gun first and get the temp first just to see where its at-- as far as the UVB it needs to be around 6-8" from his sitting area for max UVB -- if you change out and go to a Arcadia T 5 depending on your mesh screen it could go on top -- if its got bigger holes in screen - if its the fine mesh it would need to go inside- around 6-12" from him - they are stronger bulbs and only need to be changed out yearly where a T 8 needs to be replaced every 6 months--
Karrie

VioletEclair

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1jwbd8z5 said:
The Zilla T 8 will work but it is not what every one on here recommends- this is what is recommended
Reptisun 10 T5, or the Arcadia D3 12% or 14% T5 tube, both of which are very good. You will need a T5 light fixture also. If you decide to use the Zilla I would suggest it go into the tank - simply because of the UVB rays - it is not a strong bulb- and the mesh screen will filter out alot of the rays-- the heat emitter will heat tank up air temp wise - and they are not as dangerous as he thinks they are granted if they hit the floor like mine did once it can cause a fire - anyway -- you can always make his basking spot higher but I would get the infrared gun first and get the temp first just to see where its at-- as far as the UVB it needs to be around 6-8" from his sitting area for max UVB -- if you change out and go to a Arcadia T 5 depending on your mesh screen it could go on top -- if its got bigger holes in screen - if its the fine mesh it would need to go inside- around 6-12" from him - they are stronger bulbs and only need to be changed out yearly where a T 8 needs to be replaced every 6 months--
Karrie

I might try to at some point get the T8 to T5 converter and see if that would work with the light fixture I have! If not I’ll upgrade. My hubby already recycled the box so I sadly can’t return it. Will the T8 be ok for a little while for my little guy? I ordered the infrared thermometer and it’ll be here on Sunday so luckily I’ll have a couple of days to figure out the heating situation at least before the little guy arrives on Tuesday. I’m just so excited and want him to be comfortable!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
VioletEclair":375wr07k said:
KarrieRee":375wr07k said:
Karrie

I might try to at some point get the T8 to T5 converter and see if that would work with the light fixture I have! If not I’ll upgrade. My hubby already recycled the box so I sadly can’t return it. Will the T8 be ok for a little while for my little guy? I ordered the infrared thermometer and it’ll be here on Sunday so luckily I’ll have a couple of days to figure out the heating situation at least before the little guy arrives on Tuesday. I’m just so excited and want him to be comfortable!
Yes the T 8 will work just put it inside the tank for him so he can get up under it -- and yes try using a converter -- I know someone else on the board had gotten a converter and it worked fine--
Karrie

VioletEclair

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2cktkmg9 said:
VioletEclair":2cktkmg9 said:
KarrieRee":2cktkmg9 said:
Karrie

Yes the T 8 will work just put it inside the tank for him so he can get up under it -- and yes try using a converter -- I know someone else on the board had gotten a converter and it worked fine--
Karrie

Awesome! We were able to place the T8 in the tank with some picture frame wire and command stripped it for extra support. Thank you so much for your help! Hopefully I can get the basking spot figured out and then I’ll be good to go.
:D

VioletEclair

Original Poster
Hey I have an update. I got the infrared thermometer today and it’s reading at 85 degrees on the basking rock and 77 degrees on the cool side. Should I get a 150 watt bulb?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You can either change bulb out or move him closer to the basking bulb- what size bulb is in there now?
Karrie

VioletEclair

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1lij22d3 said:
You can either change bulb out or move him closer to the basking bulb- what size bulb is in there now?
Karrie

I currently have a 100 watt basking bulb. This is my current setup
103486-41729240.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Try putting the log under the basking bulb or find something for your rock thats under it to fit on something - the closer you get him to it the warmer its going to be--- you can try that or get a warmer bulb -- up to you--- make sure you get that temp from a Infrared heat gun - thats gonna be your most accurate temp
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom