First time owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Probes are better than stick on- please invest in a Infrared Heat gun - they are most accurate-- before we do anything w/ the basking bulb-- you can always lower the height of basking spot to hes not so close to it or you can reduce the wattage of bulb to a 75-- but first you need to get the accurate temp
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Thanks for helping out, Karrie.
Your tank setup looks good, so with the few changes you are making things should help him
out a lot.
The Zilla 50 tropical series tube bulb is ok, but you will eventually want to upgrade to a better
UVB because this particular one is not real strong. The T5 tube bulbs are the best & do last
quite a bit longer with stronger UVB emissions.
Be sure this light is mounted on the underneath side of your screen, directly alongside of the
basking bulb.
As suggested, a digital probe thermometer is best for reading the temperatures. Be sure to
leave the probe in one place at the basking area for about 15-20 minutes to allow for it to fully
warm up etc & measure accurately.

Let us know how things are going.
Tracie

Nick1993

Hello, I am also a newer beardie owner and started out in the same position as you! I have a couple post i recommend checking out as they are very informative. check my post "How's my setup" you can find it in the "recent discussions" thread.

here's a link to the light fixture i bought and that everyone is recommending you get..https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Reptisun-Terrarium-Hood/dp/B00AQU8G3M/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1KPW7DF9S6N46&keywords=zoo+med+t5+ho+reptisun+terrarium+hood&qid=1550808434&s=gateway&sprefix=zoo+med+t5+%2Caps%2C153&sr=8-3

you will also need a t5 10.0 UVB bulb the fixture only comes with a 5.0. here is a link for that as wellhttps://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-ReptiSun-Fluorescent-Chlorhexidine/dp/B07DCSMM7N/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=zoo+med+t5+ho+reptisun+bulb&qid=1550808613&s=gateway&sr=8-8

If you go to my "how's my setup" post you can see how i mounted my light fixture and go from there as an idea. I started out with very little knowledge and thanks to everyone here i feel a lot more confident in providing a safe & healthy environment for my new beardie.

as far as food, like everyone else says Dubia Roaches are the best! start out with smaller ones though, and for fruits my little guys loves cut up strawberries and blueberries. their diet should be 20% fruits and veggies 80% Dubia Roaches with the occasion treats such as smaller hornworms.

Here is a link for Dubia Roaches if you decide to make that step
https://www.amazon.com/Dubia-Roaches-100-Small/dp/B008D6HJ0M/ref=sr_1_9?crid=HP31NRBNY9BZ&keywords=dubia+roaches&qid=1550808845&s=gateway&sprefix=Dubia%2Caps%2C157&sr=8-9

Kellz24

Original Poster
My next question is traveling do any of travel frequently, my work kind of puts my away a lot but I plan on taking Marley everywhere e

Kellz24

Original Poster
And the t8 vs the t5 do I just buy bulb separate and install myself of should I take back the Zilla 50

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I dont think the T 5 will fit in the hood fixture you bought but the T 8 might - I would try the bulb first and see if it will fit - you can try getting the T 8 bulb first w/ out taking the fixture back or you can just take the whole thing back and go w/ the fixture and bulb together - but I do know the T 5 is a complete fixture - I am not sure about the T 8- the T 8 is a lower UVB but it will work - the T 5 is a stronger UVB -
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Some people say the length of tank but I would think the 24 would work and yes that is what you need
Karrie

Kellz24

Original Poster
Basking in left I removed heating rock till my t5 comes in a few days I have uvb in middle with Che on right

Kellz24

Original Poster
Now when checking temps how do I shoot my laser from the glass or open up the tank and shoot from above

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom