My beardie broke his back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finleythebeardie

Hatchling Member
I have a 4 month old beardie and he broke his back as a baby so his back legs are paralyzed, he’s eating fine and gets around great, as far as I can tell he is happy and healthy. I would just like to know if there are any forceable issues that could effect him other than not being able to get around as good as he gets bigger. He is able to move his back legs a little but not enough to use them. I talked to the person I got him from and she said that from what she can tell he will be perfectly fine and that the brake is probably not high enough on his back to effect his digestive system. Thank you for taking time to read this post.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Bless him, how on earth did he break his back or injure it? Was that confirmed by x-rays too? Do
you have pictures of the x-rays or of him, we could see?
That is good to hear however, that he does get himself around & eats on his own, too.
If he can go to the bathroom without always getting impacted that is a big concern.
If he self-regulates in & out of his basking area so he doesn't overheat that is important, also.
I can't think of anything else which could affect his health, right off. Since he is doing very well
right now, I don't think I would really change anything for him.
How do you have things set up for him, do you have a ramp for him, or are the lights lower so he
doesn't have to climb onto a real high log or platform to bask?

Tracie

Finleythebeardie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
He hurt his back by jumping off of the original owner when he was small (I believe about a month old but I could be wrong) I don’t know if they got an X-ray though. He does self regulate and the only thing I can think of that is an issue at the time is that he can’t climb as well as a bearded dragon with working back legs. I just got him about 4 days ago so he hasn’t used the bathroom yet, I believe he is suffering from relocation stress, I heard that if he doesn’t go for a week then we should be concerned. I don’t have a ramp but I made sure when buying his basking log to get one he can get onto (and he can get onto it really well since it has a more gradual elevation) and he uses his back legs to hold onto things too like sometimes he likes to sit on it vertically and he uses his back legs for that. He also eats live crickets and he catches them really easily. He eats a lot and normally so I think he should be fine.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I think it will be a very good idea to have a vet check him over , and take xrays to determine if he actually has a broken back or if it's something less permanently debilitating / disabling and to discuss the best way forward from here based on what the vet finds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom