Beardie black beard and belly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all we have a rescue Beardie and she has just come out of brumation - we were told she was a female and around 3 years old , after coming out of brumation a week ago she has constantly had a jet black beard and belly. Her viv temps are fine, set up is fine. Her eyes are not filmy, she is not eating but is taking water, my question is - is this normal? I was told by the place we bought it that by going black it means she was cold - temps are fine though around 80 in the cool and 100 in basking - all monitored on thermostat and sensors,

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it normal? Should i be worried?

100318-1511056703.jpg

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Black bearding is a sign of distress. Beardies darken all over their body when they're feeling cold, but not to jet black. Were you able to track her weight during brumation to make sure she wasn't losing too much? When you say temps & lights are fine, can you elaborate on your setup? Because she's just out of brumation, it might be a good idea to take her to the vet anyway, and you could ask them to check her out while there.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes please what type of lighting do you have in your tank because w/ the answer you got from the people you asked about the black beard tells me they dont know what they are talking about
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor girl, something is definitely stressing her or she isn't feeling well.
Please review your tank setup for us, which includes the UVB type/brand, substrate, the
temperatures, food given, etc just so we can check to be sure everything is all correct.
She could have developed some eggs over the brumation phase possibly, but you would
have to get an x-ray done to see if anything had developed.
Have you been getting some oral fluids into her daily?

Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Welshbeardie1

Original Poster
Arcadia UVA and UVB flourescent tube (desert range if I remember rightly) Arcadia basking lamp - 100w - all tubes and bulbs were new when we rescued her back in September. Basking controlled by thermostat - substrate is fine and no compaction -

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
As long as the distances of the bulbs is correct, that all sounds right. Is she still black bearding? Does she feel odd: lumps in the belly, hard spots anywhere, off-color scales or an area of trauma? Also, has she defecated since she's been up? Tracie's the expert on this thread, so I'd defer to her advice over mine, but my gut instinct here is to get her to the vet so they can run some proper tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom