Hi New Beardy Owner!! Need Input!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello new to this, but not new to reseaching my concerns here (hehe). About 3 months ago i took it apon myself to rescue a 3yr old male dragon that was not being taken good care of. He had no light whatsoever only heating source was a heating rock! He was not being fed often, when i took him i was told he hadnt eaten in months! Although he scared the crap out of me i knew i had to help him (poor thing). So i did some research here of course and bought the necessary things he needed and i took him home with me. I am glad to say i am head over hills in love with my baby boy Mafia (thats his name), am no longer afraid of him and i like to think he loves me too.

Now my problem is i think i gave him too much lovin’ and i think hes gottwn too fat lol i will upload some fotos if maybe someone can let me know how its done, im using my iphoneX if anyone can help with that as well? I want someone to see an image and see if they agree or if im just over reacting. Hes gotten very lazy only moves when he knows is feeding time. Maybe its brumation but im just not sure. Just need some input to make sure im doing a good job with my baby boy.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Welcome to the forum we will be glad to help you-- please post pics of Mafias tank and light set up and him of course--- heres how - go to top of page click on User Image uploader-- down load pics- go to reply click on XIMG at top of message box - pics should post
Karrie

Nanasimple

Original Poster
103270-1313550300.jpg
103270-6632064720.jpg
103270-7506277752.jpg
103270-3643311048.jpg
103270-5508795669.jpg
103270-1926593478.jpg

The first pic is my first try at set up (not good lol). I have since changed from sand. I know the tank is too small, i am currently in the process of moving, once i do he will be placed in a 72 gal tank. The last 2 pics are of him today. That belly is what has me questioning if hes getting too fat.

Thnks for the reply

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Well I will say he does look chubby--- what are you feeding him? He should be eating 80% vegies and 20% bugs- any worms at all? Meal worms are fattening - so are butter worms- I am not sure about the supers-- I would focus more on the vegies and maybe some exercise- get him out and let him run around -- others on here might have some more ideas--
Also when you switch out his tank I would go to a Reptisun 10 T5, or the Arcadia D3 12% or 14% T5 tube, both of which are very good. You will need a T5 light fixture also. The compact UVB are not very good --- also depending on your screen mesh as it can filter out alot of the UVB rays you will want to put it inside the tank -- the T 5 is a stronger bulb than the T 8-- a lot of people have gone to the slated ceramic tile for substrate or non adhesive shelf liner- the tile will haft to be cut to tank size - it doesnt need to be glued down so you can easily remove it for cleaning which vinegar/water in a spray bottle is used - the shelf liner the same- cut to tank - it can be purchased at Home Depot Lowes etc and its cheap! I use the slated tile and put paper towels under it to catch the watery urate so when I clean it out I pull tile change the paper towel out and clean the tile w/ the vinegar/ water -- cleans and gets rid of smell!
Karrie

Nanasimple

Original Poster
I give him a mixture of collard turnip and mustard greens everyday somedays i mix in green and red bell peppers green beans carrots celery for veggies and apples grapes black berries for fruits. I mostly feed him superworms 2/3 times a wk (normally about 20 a day). I just started to let him out more often cuz i was so afraid of him at first. I will definitely try out the ceramic tile and paper towel with the lighting you have suggested. I am so happy you replied and help me out. Thank you i am very grateful and so will Mafia be.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hmmm yeah I think I would cut back on the super worms---- that may be why he has gained so much weight-- I will send a pic of my tank - I have added more floral to it since but I still am not happy w/ it - it is hard to find floral stuff for this tank- and what I have in there now was expensive-
97951-1918616193.jpg
Karrie

Nanasimple

Original Poster
Niceeee! I like it. And yes who would of thought that wood and rock would cost so much lol. Im holding back on adding more till i move him. How old is your little one? And how big is that tank? If you dnt mind me asking?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup is a year old as of the end of Jan -- his tank is the Zen Habitat 120 gallon - the back floor and sides are made of bamboo- thus the tile in the bottom of tank -- the bamboo made for a slippery floor- the tank was $269 w/ free shipping - it is very light--
here is a pic of Hiccup
97951-4838174088.jpg
97951-280659046.jpg
Karrie

Nanasimple

Original Poster
Awww what a cutie.... beautiful color and name. His habitat is enormous lots of space for him. And omg i will look into that as well maybe the 120 gal would be better for mine. I want to get one that i wont have to change up anymore really.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Then that would be the way to go --- Hiccup seems to like it -- gives him lots of room --
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom