Brumation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! I think my beardie is brumating... he turned 1 in October so this wasn’t an issue last winter. I’ve read the articles about brumation on bearded dragon.org and just about anything else I could find - maybe I’m just a nervous mom and need some reassurance :shock:

Our little Yoshi slowed down on his eating a couple of weeks ago then basically stopped. He’s also been more of a lump lately. The temps in his terrarium have not changed. He had a couple of poops this past weekend and has been hiding out under his blanket since Sunday. I don’t think he’s sleeping the entire time. We peek in on him from time to time and he’s often awake during the day (maybe because we keep peeking in on him!). We took him out for a bath the other day and he was wide awake for it.

Is he brumating? Any help or advice would be really appreciated!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sounds like he could be. Just keep regular track of his weight and if that's stable and he looks OK (no black beard or other visual signs of stress) then I'd let him do his thing. They don't all sleep through brumation, sometimes it's just a slow down for a while.

KimberleyAnne

Original Poster
Thank you Cooper! His weight hasn’t changed so far but I’ll definitely keep an eye on it.

Gawd, it’s only been 4 days of this and we miss him so much already! How do you other beardie parents get through it?!?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's tough and we miss them. They tend to get hyperactive when they come out of it though to make up for lost time :lol:

DiXX

Hatchling Member
After me worrying Dobby was ill for weeks, today I was passing the breeder where we got her so I went in and asked advice, he said her symptoms are toward brumation even though she was only 7 months old when this started. I even took her to a rep vet who said she was too young to bromate . She gave her worming meds and said to keep an eye. All these weeks I’ve been fussing around her not letting her do what’s natural. Feel so guilty now. :( I also read on exotic pets website that you can turn the heat and uv lights off during brumation is this right ? I’ve been leaving them on as normal.

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
DiXX":2m1qwocd said:
After me worrying Dobby was ill for weeks, today I was passing the breeder where we got her so I went in and asked advice, he said her symptoms are toward brumation even though she was only 7 months old when this started. I even took her to a rep vet who said she was too young to bromate . She gave her worming meds and said to keep an eye. All these weeks I’ve been fussing around her not letting her do what’s natural. Feel so guilty now. :( I also read on exotic pets website that you can turn the heat and uv lights off during brumation is this right ? I’ve been leaving them on as normal.

I turned the UV & one of two basking lights off for mine when he went under. I left the other one on in case he decided to come out to eat the small meal I'd leave for him. I was under the initial impression that they would sleep straight through & could not have anything to eat because it'd rot in their gut, but that appears not to be true. When he did come out, I'd turn everything back on, mostly hoping he'd stop all this silly brumating stuff and hang with us like before :lol:

DiXX

Hatchling Member
Digestion is 1 thing I’m worried about now as I’ve been feeding her as usual. She’s only eating 1 or 2 dubia roaches per day , no veg , but I bathed her in warm water today hoping she’d pooh but she hasn’t. I only have 1 basking light and her uv so will probably leave them now maybe turn heat down ?. Also got 300 crickets I don’t know what to do with. Could ask our local rescue rep centre if they would like them.

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
You may have to play it by ear at first. Mine drifted into brumation, so there was a lot of weeks of some sleep, some eating, with lethargic behavior throughout before he went under. Even then, he'd sleep for 3-4 days straight then get up for maybe half a day. Like I said, I shut most everything down whenever he retreated to his hide. The advice I got was to let them do whatever it is they're going to do and just monitor their weight. As long as there isn't a significant change that would indicate parasites or other health issues, it seems they'll be fine with minimal intervention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom