New Beardie Babie, Eating habits, and stress marks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtvincen

103455-9262433378.jpg
103455-245585945.jpg

Hi all. First post on this site.

I brought my new beardie home on Sunday, 2/17/19, and I haven’t had one since I was pretty young. I wasn’t properly educated on how to care for them at that time, so I’m determined to get it right this time.

I’m not sure the exact age or length of my beardie, but he (not old enough to tell, so I’m just using he for now) has a pretty long tail compared to his body.

He seems pretty comfortable in his new habitat, he wanders around and explores, eyeballs me every time I come over to the cage, and rarely glass surfs. He does not go into his hideys, spends most of his time on the basking perch, and has slept in three different places the three nights he’s been here.

Here are where my concerns start. He doesn’t eat much. First day home he had four crickets (they were the PetSmart small size, not pinheads, so probably a little bigger than reccomended), in one feeding, and was not interested in the crickets I offered the seconnd and third feedings, and refused all veggies of any kind.
Day two he had about five crickets first feed, and refused veggies and crickets on second feed.
Today I decided he must have some greens, so i got some dubia roaches and small wax worms. I put five roaches and two worms on top of a bowl of turnip greens, frisée, and fine chopped parsnip and sweet potato. He got a couple small pieces of greens in his bites with the roaches, and tried licking the veggies a couple times, but would spit them out once he realized it was not bugs. He wouldn’t eat the second time I offered food today.

I’m very concerned as to whether or not he’s getting enough food, especially since he wholly refused vegetables.

I’m also worried about the stress marks all over his belly and beard, I know it’s normal for newly homed dragons, but he doesn’t act very stressed. He basks and hangs out in the open all day, looks at me through the glass, and is only a little resistiant to handling, as soon as I pick him up he calms down and will just sit on my chest while I lay on the couch (until he gets a little burst of energy and will run over my face to the other side of the couch).

Am I overly worried? Is there anything else I can do to convince him to eat his veggies?

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
Cute little guy ya got there. Since he's still a baby, I wouldn't worry much about him not eating greens. He should be eating mostly dubia or crickets and worms... Protein... The veggies will most likely come later. Some babies like them and some don't. As long as he's eating his protein, I wouldn't worry much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go88app
Top Bottom