Heat question and juvenile taming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narancia

Hi all, I have had my juvenile Geralt for about a month now but I had a question about temperatures; if the basking area gets to around 100/105+ he goes absolutely nuts, running around, jumping, glass surfing, digging etc. Sometimes we're worried he's even going to hurt himself throwing himself around! But I read that these temperatures are well within the range they're supposed to be? But he seems more comfortable and chilled at around 90-95, is this alright?

My other question was, I've been trying to slowly get him used to me by hand feeding him wax worms and locusts, the problem is he now seems to think my hand is food and always runs straight at my fingers to bite them, which isn't a behaviour I want to endorse. Other than that, he still really doesn't like me and I can't catch him for baths because he runs or bites. I'm worried that he'll get too big before we're good with each other and he'll just bite me all the time. Any suggestions would really be appreciated. Thanks!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
OK to nudge the basking spot and warm zone temperature DOWN a tad , dragons have a preferred operating temperature and I never run my bearded dragon basking spot hotter than 40 degC and warm zone warmer than 35 degC.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah I agree. The range is a suggestion and they tend to have individual preferences. If he avoids the hottest area, bring it down a bit. Have surface areas in the basking spot around 100-105 and plenty of surface around that in the 90s and see how he responds. You can always tweak the lighting to his preference. Just watch how he moves and basks etc to use the lighting and go from there.

As far as feeding, try offering food with an open palm which will help keep your fingers out of the way. It sounds like he's just getting excited for meal time which is good. You can also feed him wearing gloves or offer food using tongs which will help spare your fingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom