Jaxson’s Size and Eating Amounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaxson

Jaxson was about 6 inches when we brought him/her home last month. I think the pet store was only feeding Jaxson 12 crickets a day because that’s what they told us to do.

I think Jaxson is 4 months maybe. Jaxson is now 10inches from head to tail. I give Jaxson Medium size Dubias. He eat about 6 in morning and 6 in the evening. I give him mealworms as a treat maybe 4 2x a week. He ate grapes yesterday. I stopped the crickets.

Is Jaxson small?????
Was that a good growth within a month????
Was the pet store (uncle bills) underfeeding him????
Pics are below.

The pet store also told my husband to get a 20gallon tank ? and since we just spent 180 on it all, he won’t increase his tank yet ?. I read somewhere once he reach 16inches we have to increase the tank size. Is this correct, we have a little more time before getting a bigger tank?

The tank size and his size gives me anxiety.

103038-3401442855.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He looks nice and healthy and is growing well. His appetite will fluctuate so focus more on offering him all he wants a couple times per day in about 10 minute(ish) windows. Some days he'll eat a lot, other days he may not be hungry and that's OK. I'd also offer a salad for him every day. Even if he ignores it, it will help him get used to it as a food source which can make it easier for him to transition to mostly vegetarian as an adult. The roaches will happily eat the leftovers. I reference this list for salad ideas http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html my guy loves eating squash and sweet potato and collard greens (he is an adult and eats mostly veges). They all have their own favorites though.

A 20g is ok for now (not ideal) but do plan on building or buying something much larger. He can wind up being 18-24'' long as an adult. 4'x2'x2' is a minimum that is generally advised for an adult.

Jaxson

Original Poster
CooperDragon":5oegse35 said:
He looks nice and healthy and is growing well. His appetite will fluctuate so focus more on offering him all he wants a couple times per day in about 10 minute(ish) windows. Some days he'll eat a lot, other days he may not be hungry and that's OK. I'd also offer a salad for him every day. Even if he ignores it, it will help him get used to it as a food source which can make it easier for him to transition to mostly vegetarian as an adult. The roaches will happily eat the leftovers. I reference this list for salad ideas http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html my guy loves eating squash and sweet potato and collard greens (he is an adult and eats mostly veges). They all have their own favorites though.

A 20g is ok for now (not ideal) but do plan on building or buying something much larger. He can wind up being 18-24'' long as an adult. 4'x2'x2' is a minimum that is generally advised for an adult.

Thank you for responding. I offer him fresh salad daily but he doesn’t eat it at all. He turns his head at any site of any type of greens even with the bugs and worms in it. He waits for them to crawl out before attempting to eat it. If they are ate the bottom, even with the salad moving, he doesn’t finish eating. He did take a bite this morning with a roach but then let the greens hang out until it fell out his mouth. He loves strawberries and grapes though. I tried yellow squash and zucchini today and he didn’t budge. I haven’t tried sweet potatoes but I will tomorrow!!!!! Thanks so much!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
AT HIS AGE AND SIZE , I recommend 3 feeds of live insects per day and a 14 hour photoperiod (as a minimum).
SUITABLE feeders insects are outlined here viewtopic.php?f=45&t=244111&p=1859195#p1859195

Jaxson

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":g1kj3c5t said:
AT HIS AGE AND SIZE , I recommend 3 feeds of live insects per day and a 14 hour photoperiod (as a minimum).
SUITABLE feeders insects are outlined here viewtopic.php?f=45&t=244111&p=1859195#p1859195

Hi.... what do you mean by when you said “a 14hr photoperiod?” I’ve never heard anyone mentioning that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom