Jaxson’s Size and Eating Amounts

Discuss topics of food for your beardies here.

Jaxson’s Size and Eating Amounts

Postby Jaxson » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:53 am

Jaxson was about 6 inches when we brought him/her home last month. I think the pet store was only feeding Jaxson 12 crickets a day because that’s what they told us to do.

I think Jaxson is 4 months maybe. Jaxson is now 10inches from head to tail. I give Jaxson Medium size Dubias. He eat about 6 in morning and 6 in the evening. I give him mealworms as a treat maybe 4 2x a week. He ate grapes yesterday. I stopped the crickets.

Is Jaxson small?????
Was that a good growth within a month????
Was the pet store (uncle bills) underfeeding him????
Pics are below.


The pet store also told my husband to get a 20gallon tank 😠 and since we just spent 180 on it all, he won’t increase his tank yet 😡. I read somewhere once he reach 16inches we have to increase the tank size. Is this correct, we have a little more time before getting a bigger tank?

The tank size and his size gives me anxiety.


[Click image to enlarge]
Jaxson
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:20 pm
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Jaxson’s Size and Eating Amounts

Postby CooperDragon » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:50 pm

He looks nice and healthy and is growing well. His appetite will fluctuate so focus more on offering him all he wants a couple times per day in about 10 minute(ish) windows. Some days he'll eat a lot, other days he may not be hungry and that's OK. I'd also offer a salad for him every day. Even if he ignores it, it will help him get used to it as a food source which can make it easier for him to transition to mostly vegetarian as an adult. The roaches will happily eat the leftovers. I reference this list for salad ideas http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html my guy loves eating squash and sweet potato and collard greens (he is an adult and eats mostly veges). They all have their own favorites though.

A 20g is ok for now (not ideal) but do plan on building or buying something much larger. He can wind up being 18-24'' long as an adult. 4'x2'x2' is a minimum that is generally advised for an adult.
Image
User avatar
CooperDragon
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 23187
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:41 am
Location: Iowa City, IA

Re: Jaxson’s Size and Eating Amounts

Postby Jaxson » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:11 pm

CooperDragon wrote:He looks nice and healthy and is growing well. His appetite will fluctuate so focus more on offering him all he wants a couple times per day in about 10 minute(ish) windows. Some days he'll eat a lot, other days he may not be hungry and that's OK. I'd also offer a salad for him every day. Even if he ignores it, it will help him get used to it as a food source which can make it easier for him to transition to mostly vegetarian as an adult. The roaches will happily eat the leftovers. I reference this list for salad ideas http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html my guy loves eating squash and sweet potato and collard greens (he is an adult and eats mostly veges). They all have their own favorites though.

A 20g is ok for now (not ideal) but do plan on building or buying something much larger. He can wind up being 18-24'' long as an adult. 4'x2'x2' is a minimum that is generally advised for an adult.



Thank you for responding. I offer him fresh salad daily but he doesn’t eat it at all. He turns his head at any site of any type of greens even with the bugs and worms in it. He waits for them to crawl out before attempting to eat it. If they are ate the bottom, even with the salad moving, he doesn’t finish eating. He did take a bite this morning with a roach but then let the greens hang out until it fell out his mouth. He loves strawberries and grapes though. I tried yellow squash and zucchini today and he didn’t budge. I haven’t tried sweet potatoes but I will tomorrow!!!!! Thanks so much!
Jaxson
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:20 pm

Re: Jaxson’s Size and Eating Amounts

Postby kingofnobbys » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:55 pm

AT HIS AGE AND SIZE , I recommend 3 feeds of live insects per day and a 14 hour photoperiod (as a minimum).
SUITABLE feeders insects are outlined here viewtopic.php?f=45&t=244111&p=1859195#p1859195
CBDs: Puff (M)(RIP 10Dec2015),Rex (F)(RIP 16Mar2017),Toothless (M)(RIP 26Nov2017).Peppa (F) (born 15Nov2015).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Lucky (M)(wild juvenile), cat attack rescue, fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.Wriggles (F)(rescued injured),thought she was a big lizard, over 8 yrs old, died in her sleep, RIP 2Feb2016). Fluffy (F) 4y old when rescued 14Nov2017 my little livewire , ubertame, thriving and very happy .
kingofnobbys
BD.org Addict
 
Posts: 9766
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 10:56 pm
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Jaxson’s Size and Eating Amounts

Postby Jaxson » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:26 am

kingofnobbys wrote:AT HIS AGE AND SIZE , I recommend 3 feeds of live insects per day and a 14 hour photoperiod (as a minimum).
SUITABLE feeders insects are outlined here viewtopic.php?f=45&t=244111&p=1859195#p1859195


Hi.... what do you mean by when you said “a 14hr photoperiod?” I’ve never heard anyone mentioning that.
Jaxson
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:20 pm

Re: Jaxson’s Size and Eating Amounts

Postby Gormagon » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:02 am

He means "lights on for 14 hrs a day" and no lights at all at night.
The wonderful world of bearded dragons is a magical land of mystery, enchantment, cuddles, love and, worry! A mysterious realm where things always seem to change in an instant and, the moment you think you have it all figured out, the rules change! You think you own your dragon, guess again. You are now a slave!!!
RIP Peaches 10-1-18 Forever in my Heart
User avatar
Gormagon
Gray-bearded Poster
 
Posts: 2875
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:05 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Jaxson’s Size and Eating Amounts

Postby Jaxson » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:39 am

Gormagon wrote:He means "lights on for 14 hrs a day" and no lights at all at night.


Oh ok, thank you. I’ve been dong 12-14.
Jaxson
Hatchling Poster
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:20 pm

Re: Jaxson’s Size and Eating Amounts

Postby Gormagon » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:05 am

Jaxson wrote:
Gormagon wrote:He means "lights on for 14 hrs a day" and no lights at all at night.


Oh ok, thank you. I’ve been dong 12-14.

It is best to put them on a timer to keep the exact times on and off.
The wonderful world of bearded dragons is a magical land of mystery, enchantment, cuddles, love and, worry! A mysterious realm where things always seem to change in an instant and, the moment you think you have it all figured out, the rules change! You think you own your dragon, guess again. You are now a slave!!!
RIP Peaches 10-1-18 Forever in my Heart
User avatar
Gormagon
Gray-bearded Poster
 
Posts: 2875
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:05 pm
Location: Kentucky
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -


Return to Feeding

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users