Beardie not eating after waking form brumation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I saw Mushu out of his blanket and looking around. He has been in brumation for about 2 months. So I think he's out of brumation. But here's the thing. He will not eat anything! I tried the first day he woke up... nothing. I tried today... nothing. Why is he doing this? What should I do?

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
Have you given your dragon any water to drink? You can syringe feed the water. It’s important to keep them hydrated..he may just be thirsty. Did you make sure he pooped out all his food before brumating? Sometimes dragons will wake up for a day or two and then go back to sleep. For now, give him some water.

MushuDaBeardie

Original Poster
kcarello":2jixb0xa said:
Have you given your dragon any water to drink? You can syringe feed the water. It’s important to keep them hydrated..he may just be thirsty. Did you make sure he pooped out all his food before brumating? Sometimes dragons will wake up for a day or two and then go back to sleep. For now, give him some water.
Yes, I gave him water through a syringe and he even drank tons himself!

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
I don't want to hijack the thread here, but I have a "mine too". Hoping that someone can post here as to what's 'normal' after brumation as far as a return to eating, and what might constitute a problem.

kcarello

Gray-bearded Member
It can take a little bit before they start eating after brumation. You could try some butternut squash baby food to start off with. Use a syringe or a spoon and dribble some on the top “lip” as it runs down they should start licking it up..try that for a few days then move on to greens,

RarestDragon

Hatchling Member
Most beardies don't start eating right away when they wake up from brumation. It may take up to a week before they start getting their appetite back. So don't worry too much, just keep him hydrated and continue to offer him food. He'll eat when he's ready.

MushuDaBeardie

Original Poster
Here's an update for everyone. Turns out Mushu was not doing brumating. I put him back and he has not woken up since. So I guess he just wasn't finished yet! Bummer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom