Beardies Possible Eye Issue ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NAB

Good day to all,

I'm hoping to find a bit of help here with a situation that seem to have started occurring since I moved my beardies from a standard style glass tank habitat to more of a custom style tank. The guys have been in these new going on the 4th day today. Yesterday I noticed that 2 of the 4 were having something going on with their eyes which seemed as if they were irritated or something and they haven't been opening them very often. They both seem to open just one eye for a short period of time and at times will briefly open the other eye.

There are several differences with the light settings that are being used in these new tanks. I have 4 beardies total all in their own tanks. In their previous setup in 1 of the tanks I used a 100 watt Powersun at approximately 8-12 inch range unfiltered and a infrared heat emitter at 18 inches filtered. In the other 3 I used 125 watt Solar Glo and infrared heat emitter those too similar as far as distance and filtration. In the new tanks I am using 100 watt Power Sun and 24" Reptisun 10.0 all unfiltered. Yesterday I decided the basking area was too close at about 6-7 inches in comparison to the 8-12 inches in the previous setup in which I've since made adjustments to now 10-12 inches. The Reptisun bulbs are at anywhere from 8-15 inches depending on where the dragons are at the moment. Their basking temps sit anywhere from 92-98 degrees and it is ideal in the cool side 78 to 85. Humidity levels readings between the 4 tanks are between 10% -29%.

Their new tanks are also much brighter than their previous setup. There's no loose subtrate and they are also not shedding at the moment. The 1st 2 days in there they were all extremely active but since have seemed to calm down a whole lot. I just want to try to get to the bottom of what the issue may be here so I can swiftly make proper adjustments if need be. Anything out of the ordinary with my dragons are considered an emergency to me so I apologize if anyone is seeing this as a non emergency. I can also upload photos for anyone if need be. any help with this would be respectfully appreciated. In advance thank you so kindly.

-NAB

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Your setup sounds pretty good right now. I agree, the Powersuns were probably too close. Or,
they may be faulty, but, probably not. Do you have a UVB meter you could use to measure the
UVB output?
Usually for the 100 watt MVB's, I recommend a 10 inch distance for best results. Are the Reptisun
10 tubes the regular T8's or the T5's?
What type of substrate are you using, tile or a liner since there isn't any loose substrate?
If their eyes seem irritated, you can get some sterile saline solution to put in their eyes a couple of
times a day.

Tracie

NAB

Original Poster
Hello Tracie,

There's no substrate of any kind it's a bare bottom setup designed for easy cleaning which is done both daily and upon notice of any unwanted disturbances. I am considering possibly using tiling at some point.All that's mainly in there is hides, climbs, and water dish. The Reptisuns are T8 but unfortunately I do not have access to a UV meter. That is something that I've decided will have to be acquired. I can say that all the bulbs are brand new minus the 4 days that they have been in there but still not ruling out the possibility of defect. I think that I will try the saline solution that you suggest.I did read somewhere prior to this that if the basking location is too close to light that it may cause dryness and irritation to their eyes. I just hope that this is all that it is. I kinda am suspecting that to be the issue but am trying to be sure to be safe. I also wasn't sure if possibly it was too much UVs. These are much brighter than their old set up. Aside from that I just can't rule out the bulb defect. Is there a particular brand saline I should hope to get for this? Again, thank you.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You can simply use a sterile saline solution without any chemicals that are used for contact
lenses I believe. Or some pet stores sell turtle eye drops which would be fine, also.
That sounds good then, so substrate issues definitely are not the problem.
I do agree, sometimes there are faulty bulbs & you have to send them back for new ones.
I don't think it is too much UVB, no. Are the tube bulbs placed directly beside the Powersun
MVB's for brightness?
Can you post some pictures of your tank setup just so we can see light placement? Lighting
can be one of the most frustrating parts of getting everything all organized!

Let us know how they are doing.
Tracie

NAB

Original Poster
Ok so I tried the eye solution to no avail. I'm beginning to suspect photokeratitis conjuctivitus.I have shut all UV down and am putting them on a plain basking bulb no UVs for a few days. Im buying babyfood for the time being if they dont eat on their own soon.I will post some pics of the setups in a bit here.I feel absolutely terrible about this.I will be soaking them daily as well for atleast 20 minutes a piece. I hope I've caught this soon enough for no real long term problems.Even tho Ive move the basking areas to a lower level the lights probably are still bothering them. Ive also decide not to run the tube lights along with the MVB. Ive never used them before but thought maybe theyd like the extra lighting. The tube lights start about 4 to 6 inches away from the MVB. I also am hoping that because occasionally they are opening their eyes that it means its not real bad. I 'm going to do whatever it takes to be sure theyre ok as best as possible. My guys are 3 and 4 years old btw.Ive had them since they were little babies.

NAB

Original Poster
Update: After keeping the guys on on an infrared night bulb and adding alot of exterior lighting to try not confusing them of the time of day in addition to rinsing eyes with sterile solution there has been improvement. They are eating on their own and have since been keeping their eyes open at a much more extended period of time. I'm going to try reintroducing the MVB tomorrow and see how it goes.I will still be posting photos but haven't had the chance for I also work alot. I appreciate all of the help. I feel very confident that this will resolve well.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great news the eyes are improving! :D
It sounds like some minor lighting adjustments have helped out. Maybe the bulbs were just too
close or something was causing some excess glaring for some reason.
The saline solution probably helped out quite a bit also. I'm glad to hear they are doing better &
are eating as well, that's terrific.
Let us know how things go after you reintroduce the bulbs again.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom