Is it bad to build a habitat from whitewood and poplar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frawsti

My little buddy needs a new tank, and I was thinking of disassembling his aquarium to build a larger tank from whitewood and poplar around it. Is there any reason why I shouldn't do this before I commit? The front would still be glass but the base and walls would be untreated poplar/whitewood.

Thanks and any opinions would be nice!

Frawsti

Original Poster
And as a side note- I have everything planned out already. I'm wondering though how I should route wires, I can't seem to find a sort of seal/gasket/grommet that I can run them through if I drill holes in the side of the tank.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
No cedar or pine is the rule. Not sure what you are calling "whitewood", if it is any type of pine....NO!!!

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Frawsti":2us8nkjw said:
Gormagon":2us8nkjw said:
No cedar or pine is the rule. Not sure what you are calling "whitewood", if it is any type of pine....NO!!!

It's this:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/-Common-1-in-X-8-in-x-12-ft-Actual-0-75-in-x-7-25-in-x-12-ft-Whitewood-Board/1000052627

No mention of pine so hopefully im fine lol
It's white pine, do not use it unless it is sealed and/or painted with a nontoxic paint or sealer. If you do, let it air out for at least a couple of weeks or until the smell is gone.

Frawsti

Original Poster
Gormagon":j8v8quqe said:
It's white pine, do not use it unless it is sealed and/or painted with a nontoxic paint or sealer. If you do, let it air out for at least a couple of weeks or until the smell is gone.

Okay, sounds good. I'll just use the poplar then in replacement, I didn't take that route initially just because of how expensive it was lol

Frawsti

Original Poster
While I have the topic open, will 66"(L) x 13"(W) x 15"(H) be enough space for a full grown beardie? I'm sure that the length is plenty but wasn't sure about the width or heigh

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Frawsti":2sm5xrom said:
While I have the topic open, will 66"(L) x 13"(W) x 15"(H) be enough space for a full grown beardie? I'm sure that the length is plenty but wasn't sure about the width or heigh
Length is good but the width and height need to be a bit bigger. Optimum width and height is 24", though you may get by with 18" in height as a minimum.

Frawsti

Original Poster
Gormagon":nq8bvo8j said:
Frawsti":nq8bvo8j said:
Length is good but the width and height need to be a bit bigger. Optimum width and height is 24", though you may get by with 18" in height as a minimum.

I simply couldn't fit that in the area of my apartment if it we're 24" lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom