Lazy and flattening stomach

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bearded dragon has been super lazy lately and is not moving from the cool side of his tank. He also has been pancake-ing his stomach/back fairly consistently. He has his open but seems to be sleeping more often. This has been going on for the past 2-3 days and I am a little worried because he is normally an active dragon. He hasn’t touched food in the last few days either but sometimes he does that so I’m not overly concerned about that aspect.

The cool end of his tank stays around 75-78 degrees. The warm side stays around 91 with his basking spot around 95. We have had him for about a month now. He is said to be 2 years old and we do not know what his history was. We feed him greens every day and he gets crickets or wax worms 1-2 times a week. I mist him several times a day with dechlorinated water and he has fresh water available in the tank. I have never had a reptile before so I am still very new to this. I have not had a vet examine him yet but I am working on finding one.

Could he be sick? Is there something I can change to help him out of this? He just normally does not seem this lazy. I am concerned because he is not going to the warm side to bask. Thank you.

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Hi,

You'll want to bring the basking temp up around 105*F, and there's no need to mist him. If you can provide pictures & descriptions of his lighting & setup, we can take a look to see if other changes might be warranted. That said, sometimes dragons get lazy and pancake-y for a while. Their appetite will fluctuate naturally and at 2 yrs old, he could also be preparing to brumate. In brumation, they go off food, get lethargic, and generally slow down before going into a hibernation-like sleep that can last for months. One of mine is kinda-sorta coming out of his brumation now, which he started in Nov. Do you have some place he can hide out of the light in case that's what's going on? Does he otherwise seem happy, healthy?

Hectorthebeardie

Original Poster
Aaradimian":qr3g6j27 said:
Hi,

You'll want to bring the basking temp up around 105*F, and there's no need to mist him. If you can provide pictures & descriptions of his lighting & setup, we can take a look to see if other changes might be warranted. That said, sometimes dragons get lazy and pancake-y for a while. Their appetite will fluctuate naturally and at 2 yrs old, he could also be preparing to brumate. In brumation, they go off food, get lethargic, and generally slow down before going into a hibernation-like sleep that can last for months. One of mine is kinda-sorta coming out of his brumation now, which he started in Nov. Do you have some place he can hide out of the light in case that's what's going on? Does he otherwise seem happy, healthy?

Hi there, thanks for your response. I’m trying to get the basking area warmer but I have done what I can with what I have, so I think I will be getting a stronger bulb. He does have a little hut that he sits on top of on the cooler side of his tank and it has space for him to go underneath if he wants to hide. Today he seems to be more active and he ate a little bit. I think I’ll up the bulb power so the basking spot gets hotter and see how he does. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matthewsalecia2015
Top Bottom