Tanks and Growth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaxson

So the pet store told my husband to get a 20gallon tank when we got Jaxson ? (uncle bills ?) our Beardie is now 10 inches ?. I told him we need to increase the size of the tank but since we just got it a month ago, he won’t ??‍♀️. How long do we have until his growth stations (slows or stops)??

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The 10 gallon tank needs to be replaced - he is already outgrowing it- another person being given bad advice from a Pet Store! :( He at the least needs to go into a 40 gallon tank - my guess he does not have the proper lighting as well --- tank size we often recommend for him to be happy is a 4x2x2- or 120 gallon - but a 75 gallon would be great as well -- for the health of the dragon I would suggest you invest in the proper enclosure and if your husband doesnt want to do it I would consider re-homing him to some one who will take care of him.
thank you and good luck Karrie

Jaxson

Original Poster
KarrieRee":5iz40qex said:
The 10 gallon tank needs to be replaced - he is already outgrowing it- another person being given bad advice from a Pet Store! :( He at the least needs to go into a 40 gallon tank - my guess he does not have the proper lighting as well --- tank size we often recommend for him to be happy is a 4x2x2- or 120 gallon - but a 75 gallon would be great as well -- for the health of the dragon I would suggest you invest in the proper enclosure and if your husband doesnt want to do it I would consider re-homing him to some one who will take care of him.
thank you and good luck Karrie

We have a 20 not a 10. I saw a 55 and 75 the pet store but idk how to convince my husband to get a bigger now we spent $180 on the 20 that came with all supplies. The lighting is great it came with the correct bulbs for all lighting. Uncle Bills just be trying to make a sell and now I’m pissed. They don’t buy back tanks. Jaxson is a bday give for our 7 yr old my husband won’t rehome him either. I’m just pissed at this point.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Your not the only one!! :banghead: For one thing the dragon is not a kids pet -- there is so much more detail to this and my guess is the lighting is not correct-- if he does not have the proper lighting he will get ill and die - it is crucial that is why I asked - people who work at Pet Smart employees do not have a clue as to what they are talking about- does your Uncle have experience in taking care of bearded dragons? Does he own one for himself? If he does I apologize but him saying the 20 gallon is big enough tells me different--- and $180 ? for a 20 gallon ? I have a 120 gallon and paid $269- what are you feeding the dragon ? Hopefully not pellets--- dragons need bugs dusted w/ calcium powder 5 x per day and vitamins 2 x per day -- and fed 2 times per day - w/ greens offered daily --- like mustard greens collard greens green beans squash - crickets are ok but dubia roaches are the best they dont stink and are easy to take care of --- that little one should be eating 20-30 crickets per feeding or 6-8 roaches per feeding-- No super worms or meal worms - they are too hard on the dragons digestive system
Karrie

Jaxson

Original Poster
KarrieRee":12zjt30i said:
Your not the only one!! :banghead: For one thing the dragon is not a kids pet -- there is so much more detail to this and my guess is the lighting is not correct-- if he does not have the proper lighting he will get ill and die - it is crucial that is why I asked - people who work at Pet Smart employees do not have a clue as to what they are talking about- does your Uncle have experience in taking care of bearded dragons? Does he own one for himself? If he does I apologize but him saying the 20 gallon is big enough tells me different--- and $180 ? for a 20 gallon ? I have a 120 gallon and paid $269- what are you feeding the dragon ? Hopefully not pellets--- dragons need bugs dusted w/ calcium powder 5 x per day and vitamins 2 x per day -- and fed 2 times per day - w/ greens offered daily --- like mustard greens collard greens green beans squash - crickets are ok but dubia roaches are the best they dont stink and are easy to take care of --- that little one should be eating 20-30 crickets per feeding or 6-8 roaches per feeding-- No super worms or meal worms - they are too hard on the dragons digestive system
Karrie

We have the correct lighting. Uncle Bills is the name of the pet store lol. I just looked at the receipt, the $180 was total for Jaxson, the tank, and everything we needed. He eats Dubias with calcium and vitamin supplements.

I don’t think the pet store was feeding himnproperly though, he grew 4.5 inches since we gotten him after switching to Dubias completely.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Can you tell me if the lighting is a coil UVB or long tube? And great that he is getting the dubias and the calcium and vitamins -- please offer him vegies --- he will eventually start eating those as he gets closer to a year - if he doesnt eat them now or at least once in awhile it will be good for him - Hiccup turned a year at the end of Jan and he is eating more vegies than the dubias - he likes is worms like the horn worms and butter worms but they are strictly for treat and not a staple -- are you taking temps in his tank ? and how are you taking those temps if you are? Who is mainly taking care of the Jaxson?
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
A 20 gallon is perfectly fine for a 10" beardie but not for long. It sounds like he's growing very well in your care but will need an upgrade soon. Keep an eye on Craig's list for a large tank , you might find a good deal. Or see if your hubby might be motivated for a fun project to build a big enclosure. :)

Karrie is right about the lights, be sure to get a good uvb bulb. Some of the coil/compacts can actually be used in a smaller tank with smaller dragons but again, you need to upgrade very soon. If it's warm out whee you live you can also build or buy an outdoor cage so he can get real sunlight.

Jaxson

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1axbavw7 said:
Can you tell me if the lighting is a coil UVB or long tube? And great that he is getting the dubias and the calcium and vitamins -- please offer him vegies --- he will eventually start eating those as he gets closer to a year - if he doesnt eat them now or at least once in awhile it will be good for him - Hiccup turned a year at the end of Jan and he is eating more vegies than the dubias - he likes is worms like the horn worms and butter worms but they are strictly for treat and not a staple -- are you taking temps in his tank ? and how are you taking those temps if you are? Who is mainly taking care of the Jaxson?
Karrie

My 7yr old n I take care of him. We bought different coils than what came in the box. He gets fresh veggies and fruit daily. We have a thermostat that has the temp and humidity placed on his basking side. The worms here are too big, The only small ones are mealworms. Humidity is between 30-40 and temps ranges between 100-110 mainly staying at 105.

Jaxson

Original Poster
AHBD":l4tosf41 said:
A 20 gallon is perfectly fine for a 10" beardie but not for long. It sounds like he's growing very well in your care but will need an upgrade soon. Keep an eye on Craig's list for a large tank , you might find a good deal. Or see if your hubby might be motivated for a fun project to build a big enclosure. :)

Karrie is right about the lights, be sure to get a good uvb bulb. Some of the coil/compacts can actually be used in a smaller tank with smaller dragons but again, you need to upgrade very soon. If it's warm out whee you live you can also build or buy an outdoor cage so he can get real sunlight.

Thanks for answering my question. I forgot about craigslist, I will actually put ours up for sale on there. Once we upgrade I am defiantly getting the tube lighting because the coils would be too small. I just didn’t know at which length I needed to upgrade. It’s freezing here right now but I will keep that in mind for the summer time. I love projects!!!!! Should we use wood or what would you use?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Some people have used old dressers etc--- you might want to check out the DIY board - you can get some ideas there--
Karrie

Jaxson

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1u367iud said:
Some people have used old dressers etc--- you might want to check out the DIY board - you can get some ideas there--
Karrie

Ok thank you!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree, you can find some good ideas there. I have a few home built with particle board, old paneling and linoleum. Also used a 300 gallon tank for my girls. Here's a thread with many years worth of pictures + ideas. Be warned you may go OCD looking through here. :D

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=66704#p508707

Jaxson

Original Poster
AHBD":3471atl2 said:
I agree, you can find some good ideas there. I have a few home built with particle board, old paneling and linoleum. Also used a 300 gallon tank for my girls. Here's a thread with many years worth of pictures + ideas. Be warned you may go OCD looking through here. :D

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=66704#p508707

Thanks so much!!!! I’ll check it out ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom