Help! I think my guys foot is dying???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leiissha

Hey all,

My beardies foot is extremely hard and gray. The scales look 'dead' and they're separating from the healthy looking ones. When you look at it up close you can kind of see under the gray ones and its just smooth skin? Is his foot dying? Is he dying? I'll try and post a picture later, I really don't want to bother him again tonight.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Photos will help us .

BUT if you think there is a serious issue with the foot you really need to find a local reptile vet and take your dragon to them to be examined and for xrays and bloodwork to determine exactly what is going on.
From what you are saying it seems it's WELL PAST being treatable using cheap home remedies like manuka honey.

If you can't find a reptile vet, tell us your zip code and we can look up a reptile vet who has a practice near you.

Leiissha

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":ksloyjph said:
Photos will help us .

BUT if you think there is a serious issue with the foot you really need to find a local reptile vet and take your dragon to them to be examined and for xrays and bloodwork to determine exactly what is going on.
From what you are saying it seems it's WELL PAST being treatable using cheap home remedies like manuka honey.

If you can't find a reptile vet, tell us your zip code and we can look up a reptile vet who has a practice near you.

Im in Canada, I have a vet but I have to wait until the morning to take him in. Heres a photo.
86373-9981147074.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's just skin shed that hasn't come off, very common. The foot does look swollen though. Can you post a pic of him with both feet in front of him as well as a pic of his other foot for size comparison ?

Leiissha

Original Poster
It just seems way too deep to be shed. Im taking him to the vet in a few hours so hopefully thats all it is.

Leiissha

Original Poster
He isnt really using it at all. And when he does its like a club. He doesnt have his usual dexterity

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's not a good sign, hopefully the vet can help him out. Is he housed with another dragon + maybe got bitten ?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon's foot looking today?
Pictures would be very helpful for us. Are you able to get him to the vet for analysis?
If you can get some raw, unpasteurized honey, or antibiotic ointment on that hand it would
help out a little bit.
How is his appetite?

Tracie

Leiissha

Original Poster
He's been to the vet and his foot is fractured. She was also concerned about his breathing so hes now on antibiotics, pain meds and calcium supplements.

He hasnt been eating much but hes drinking water. I'm keeping close contact with the vet and monitoring him. He's becoming more interested in food and has more energy today which is good. His food is still not great but is looking much better.

fcooper

Hatchling Member
It's likely that when he shed the skin didn't come off his toes, and now the toe has actually died due to lack of circulation - it happens to some people that's why you always have to watch when they shed and make sure the skin comes off their toes and the tip of their tail. There's probably not much that can be done for his toe, but you need to take him to a vet so his foot can be saved.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Just wondered how your dragon's foot was looking? Is it improving any yet?
I hope it gets better soon. Keep us posted on how he is doing.

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Fractured foot, poor guy . :( No wonder he is not using it. Keep all of his basking areas very low so he doesn't chance hurting it by a jump or fall. Hopefully it heals up soon. What type of uvb bulb do you have ? It should be a long tube rather than a small coil or compact, you need the best uvb to speed up the healing of his bones. A long tube Reptisun 10.0 t5 or Arcadia D3 12-14 %. Some MVB's are good as well such as the Megaray.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom