Just Personality or Not

Status
Not open for further replies.

yuki1005

So I recently bought a month old bearded dragon a week or so a go from petsmart and everything else seems ok and I've been lurking on this forum constantly to make sure I'm giving my new friend as much care as possible, but there's one weird thing. He won't eat a massive amount of food live or otherwise within 10-15 minutes. He'll eat a bit, go do whatever else he wants.( Bask, watch tv, explore, dragon stuff) and eat some more. That seems ok, but it makes live feeding with crickets really difficult. He'll eat a handful then lose interest and I cant keep them stunned much longer than feeding time and they spook him when they get too excited

He eats his greens, and any dried,dead bugs ( He likes crunchy food a LOT and they don't fight back.) He's very active and his poops are lovely, but I just want to ensure he has an optimal diet. He has a 100w mercury vapor uvb with white light and uva, good temps, dusted food, hydration is ok( His urate looks pretty good)

Should I switch to a different feeder?( Worms/larvae most likely as roaches will definitely violate my lease agreement.) Is it just his personality? He's very calm and loves just chilling on me. He'll eat a little from my hand but mainly if I'm that close he just wants to climb and snuggle on me. Mainly he eats when I'm close but not giving him attention, but live baby crickets I need to be close or they'll send him running.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What kind of UVB do you have for him? You might want to try some dubia roaches --- they are better for him and less hassle than crickets--- stunning the crickets ? He does not chase them? Another pet smart --- what kind of set up do you have can you post pics please? go to top of page click on user image uploader - down load pics- go to reply on top of message box click on XIMG and pic will post

thanks Karrie

yuki1005

Original Poster
103374-3472470958.jpg
sorry for the terrible pic. Will try another after work. Using 100w Mercury vapor bulb with uvb and uva. Getting a larger dome for the bulb but have to use Amazon as my local pet stores are pretty small. Also getting a 40 gallon tank as soon as I get a stand for it. By stunning I put a few in the the fridge so they don't jump on him. Still alive but less fight. Also roaches are gonna get me evicted.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Sorry about that --- people are clueless about the dubia roaches they are nothing like a cock roach-- you need a long tube for UVB -- what size tank is that now? a long 20 gallon? the 40 gallon will be ok but I would recommend looking for a bigger one -- like a 50 or 75 the bigger the better - if your planning to get another tank --- here is what is recommended for UVB --Lighting place to get UVB
www.lightyourreptiles.com or you can look on Amazon too --
Reptisun 10 T5, or the Arcadia D3 12% or 14% T5 tube, both of which are very good. You will
need a T5 light fixture also.
I used a old metal dresser for my 50 gallon tank that worked great because it had drawers to keep Hiccups stuff in - I recently upgraded my 50 gallon to a 120 Zen Habitat and bought a aquarium stand from Home Depot to put it on - worked out great! :D So if your looking for a stand try places like salvation army good will if you are strapped - just a suggestion -- sorry about the cricket thing - he would probably like the roaches better - I know when I got Hiccup even tho he was started on crickets he seemed to not like them so when I got him about 2 weeks later I took him to the reptile vet and she suggested I switch to dubias for health reasons - better for him - so I did - wow he went for them like crazy and liked them so much better I never went back to crickets again -- which was a good thing for me cuz I hated the smell and hassle of taking care of them - I keep the dubias in a 10 gallon aquarium and it has worked out so much better --
Karrie

yuki1005

Original Poster
Alright I'll get right that bulb. Honestly I'm being very naughty because I don't even have a dinner table but it's all worth it. Gonna look into better feeders as soon as I go home, Probably not the right way to celebrate Valentine's Day lol.

yuki1005

Original Poster
Update: Got a stand out of my parents basement a bigger tank picked out already, but turns out my beardie was starting a shed. Kinda embarrassed how panicked I was but thank you so much for your advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom