My beardies tail looks injured

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, so I've had my beardie dragon for about two months now hes active and healthy I regularly check on him and he eats well except I cant get him to eat his veggies (need help with that too), but my main concern right now is his tail Gavins tail seems to have been bit I dont know if he did it himself or what but I'm a little worried as I dont really know what to do.
102659-8595573636.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Welcome to the forum ------Some one else will haft to weigh in on the tail issue-- ok so hes not eating vegies --- normal if hes a baby--- his main diet is bugs dusted in calcium powder 5 x per week w/ vitamins 2 x per week--- is he eating those--? Where did you get your baby from and what kind of lighting do you have for your tank?
Karrie

LordPotRoast

Original Poster
I have an infrared light and yes I feed him dusted crickets every other day or every two days he eats about 10 a day with occasional super worms. I got him from petsmart it was the only place I could find one, I have home houses in one of their kits but I switched the bulbs since I didnt really trust them.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok the infrared light is bad for his eyes - please get rid of it-- any advice from Petsmart is usually bad advice- what kind of lighting is it ? If its a coil UVB they are no good - the basking bulb is probably ok if its keeping his temps between 90-105- babies like it on the warm side-- please post pics of tank and light set up --- go to top of page click on user image uploader - down load pics - click on reply at top of message box click on XIMG - pics will post -- also super worms are not good for babies - too hard on their digestion system - crickets are ok but tend to give parasites -- I and others would recommend dubia roaches -- same size as crickets --- no bigger than the size between his eyes-- dusted as well - you can get them on line from Amazon.com suppliers usually offer free shipping - glad you found the forum we can help please dont hesitate to ask
Karrie

LordPotRoast

Original Poster
Whoops the basking bulb is actually a ceramic heat lamp I dont know why I said infrared, the UVB bulb is a flouresent bulb and I didn't know crickets were potentially harmful same with super worms. I have gavin in a 10 gallon tank right now but I plan on buying a much bigger tank in a few weeks. Thank you for your help.
102659-5977417640.jpg
102659-7945567351.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
ok sounds good about tank -- a bigger tank you will need - we often recommend a 4x2x2 tank size- the UVB light should be a Reptisun 10 T5, or the Arcadia D3 12% or 14% T5 tube, both of which are very good. You will
need a T5 light fixture also. If you have any more questions please ask --- we are here to help

Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, can you post 1-2 more pics of the tail ? Was it like that when you got him ? They do nip at each other in the stores. That looks like a clean break though + will fall off at some point with no trouble. You can dab it with neosporin but I doubt there's any infection. That type of small injury is very common.

LordPotRoast

Original Poster
When I got him his tail was not like that, I take him out of this cage every other day so he can get used to me and his surroundings. Thank you for the reassurance I will definitely put neosporin on it to prevent any infection.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It may have gotten caught under something or bitten by a cricket. The cricket biting is unlikely but not unheard of though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom