How do you open a beardie's mouth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Hi,

I didn't post this in ER because it's not an emergency, but my recent adoptee Helmut got his first checkup and has pinworms and an over-abundance of amoebas according to the lab report. They prescribed 2 oral meds and I'm trying to figure out how to get him to open up. He's smaller & doesn't have much of a beard to pull down on as I've seen some suggest. I don't want to apply much force for fear of hurting him, and he's fairly new to the family, so I'm trying not to alienate him, but I know he needs his meds. What's the most gentle and effective way to get this done?

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
I had to give Tampi medication for pinworms when she was between 7-8 months and I had the hardest and most emotional time with her, however, I did figure out what worked best for her and when I occasionally do it now, she opens without a fuss. I pinch the sides of her mouth and push down a bit. She starts to look down, but eventually opens her mouth and looks up. I had to rather forceful the first couple of times, but I tried to keep her comfortable by placing her on the counter and in her little bed with a blankey on. She did hiss at me a couple of times when she absolutely was not having it and I think you may have a couple rough rounds of it, but just have to remember that you're doing it for their own good and they don't really understand that, so a little bit of force is necessary.

Good luck!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Can't add much to that.

If you still have problems , consider purchasing 18G feeding syringe (the straight versions are the best to get) , see viewtopic.php?f=45&t=232687
syringe_and_18_G_medication_-_crop_needle.png

to help get the meds into the dragon's mouth, they are made from surgical grade stainless steel and are literally indestructible but are made so there are no sharp edges on the business end so an angry dragon can chew on it and will never hurt it's self , bite a bit off , or damage the needle.
Also will keep your hand far enough away to avoid being nipped or bitten.

Only needs to go into the mouth , past the teeth to get the med in.

I use this arrangement when I'm giving Peppa olive oil.

I had to give my juvenile beardie parasite meds as well. I folded a index card in half and used it to pry her mouth open.

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Original Poster
vrenee1018":1uycppx1 said:
Hello there. Were you able to administer meds to your little one?

Yep. It was a bit of a struggle for the 1st dose, but I am getting better at figuring out the right spots to hold & pull. Luckily, he only has one dose left. My adult is still kinda, sorta brumating and has been worrying us by being up for longer periods of time with no appetite, so I'm hoping I don't have to start syringe feeding him to keep his weight up. That will make this bit with the little guy seem like child's play.

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
Aaradimian":3ljhy2dh said:
vrenee1018":3ljhy2dh said:
Hello there. Were you able to administer meds to your little one?

Yep. It was a bit of a struggle for the 1st dose, but I am getting better at figuring out the right spots to hold & pull. Luckily, he only has one dose left. My adult is still kinda, sorta brumating and has been worrying us by being up for longer periods of time with no appetite, so I'm hoping I don't have to start syringe feeding him to keep his weight up. That will make this bit with the little guy seem like child's play.

Glad he is doing well! Is your adult using tons of energy while he's up, or just laying there relaxing most of the time?

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Glad he is doing well! Is your adult using tons of energy while he's up, or just laying there relaxing most of the time?

He is mostly lazy, but had a burst of energy a day or two ago. We are not panicking yet, but it is weird to see our little one eating like a champ while his big brother won't even touch a single dubia.

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
Aaradimian":8tbtbd8g said:
He is mostly lazy, but had a burst of energy a day or two ago. We are not panicking yet, but it is weird to see our little one eating like a champ while his big brother won't even touch a single dubia.

That's how Tampi was when she was brumating. She would wake up for 2 days with these little bursts of energy and then relax mostly or fall back asleep for the rest of the week.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I hope he is doing better now. Are you done with the meds or have you got more doses to give?
Have you reviewed your tank setup with us, just to be sure everything is all correct?
After medication rounds, it can sometimes take them a little while to get back to normal. Did you
use a probiotic also to help with appetite?
Since he was on two types of medications, that can definitely affect his appetite.

Tracie

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Drache613":3oghs69m said:
Hello,

I hope he is doing better now. Are you done with the meds or have you got more doses to give?
Have you reviewed your tank setup with us, just to be sure everything is all correct?
After medication rounds, it can sometimes take them a little while to get back to normal. Did you
use a probiotic also to help with appetite?
Since he was on two types of medications, that can definitely affect his appetite.

Tracie

Hi Tracie,

Actually, we're talking two different dragons here. The one needing the meds is my younger 6 mo. old. He's actually got a good appetite. The one not eating is my 1.5 y.o. who had been brumating but is now up. I don't know if he's quite finished, so am not worried too much yet. Still, it would be nice if he'd eat a little in front of me as a reassurance. He won't eat any bugs but his tray of greens is disturbed when I get home. Not sure if he's eating or just walking through them, though! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom