Hydration Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

yarbharas

Hi all, just looking for some advice regarding my 7 month old.

I’m super concerned about making sure he’s well hydrated. I give him a 10-15min soak every other day, practically drench his greens which he gobbles up right away, and I drip water onto his nose for him to lick up, although he rarely ever actually drinks it.

The issue I’m having is that for the past few months, he’s been passing hard urates. I read that it could be from too much calcium so I tried to reduce it a little (I was kind of afraid to drastically change anything with the calcium since he’s still growing), but it remained hard still. I know that it can also be a sign of dehydration, but when he poops it almost always has a puddle of liquid surrounding it.

He also just recently shed all of his torso, and when that happens his skin can get quite wrinkled, but this time it has stayed relatively wrinkly after the shed came off. However, if I pinch the skin around the wrinkles, it’ll go back in place.

Could it be that he’s dehydrated? And if so, what more can I do to prevent him from getting dehydrated again in the future?
97778-5162560632.jpg
(The cardboard in the background is there to fill in a little gap he’s still small enough to get stuck in, I built the platform myself)

Thank you!
-Paranoid Beardie Mom (Sarah)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Sarah, how much calcium are you using ? How many bugs per feeding, and is it all coated ? Are his salads sprinkled as well ?

yarbharas

Original Poster
He’s getting about 20-30 bugs per feeding twice a day, and I only dust them in the morning. I can’t give you an exact measurement of how much calcium I’m using, I usually just put enough in there to coat them all in a slightly white-ish color. Not thick enough to look like a powdered donut or anything. I don’t dust his salad either.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You might want to use even less, try just dusting half of that amount. When you say the urate is hard, is it almost like chalk ?

yarbharas

Original Poster
Got it, thank you. And yes, I would consider the urate chalky. I typically have to use some force to break it in half with my fingers. It’s usually completely white too.
I forgot to mention in my original post, there’s occasionally a thin white casing around his poop, I’m not sure if that has anything to do with it either.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I doubt the casing means anything. Keep up with feeding him the wet salads and reduce the calcium a bit and see if that helps. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom