Is it a good idea to introduce my beardie with purée veggies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lacarney014

I got my bearded dragon in October of 2018 & she was already a year old. She’s doing great & all but will only eat crickets. I want to feed her the veggies & fruits she needs for a proper diet. She has a few times & every time I try she refuses. I really need help with this because I don’t know to get her to eat foods. She seems only interested in stuff that moves. I have tried putting it in a dish with insects but she never falls for it. She gets her calcium from the crickets that have powder on them. I give her water every day. I got her at petco. I wish I did more research and have gotten on from a beeder or even getting a baby first. She seems to not like me very much. She lets me hold her but always wants to run away when I do wanna play. So if I could have help on that too that would be great. I’ve done so much research before & after getting her. I’d just like more help. Thank you

Foxxy76

Just keep trying to feed her veggies. My boy Lazy was very stubborn to eat his but eventually came around. I put his bugs in a dish with his greens so they couldn't escape but he could still eat out of so he would accidentally get a mouthful of greens with his bugs. I also tried different greens to figure out what he likes. He loves dandelion, watercress, and mustard greens now. He will tolerate spring mixes (most of the time) and collard greens. I also sprinkle alfalfa powder from capsules (I open them) on his bugs occasionally. I rotate his greens between the ones he likes and even mix them if I can so he doesn't have the same meal everyday. It gets boring for them too! I find that Lazy likes green beans and chopped carrots for a treat. I buy the dehydrated fruit mix online though for fruits. He hates fruits but if I spoon feed him some of that mash he'll lick some of it. I give him fresh apple chopped into tiny bites occasionally too. (He hates anything else I've tried). If you do decide to go with puree make sure you get single foods so it isn't mixed with something bad for her!
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Above is a link to a good food guide. Beware of foods that are toxic to beardies!

As far as playing goes I love to let Lazy explore and just watch his adventures. He like to climb the shoe rack and patrol the hall. They each have their own personalities and it can take time for them to bond. But I love it when he's finally tired and I put him on my chest and he just snuggles in. I love my beardie! When I got him he was around 1-2 years old and we got him from people who only fed him crickets, mealworms and cabbage. He was riddled with intestinal parasites and had to be given dewormer (I gave him soy yogurt and pumpkin to help his belly during this) and he was super skinny. Now he's a chubby beast! I varied his bugs by adding roaches, hornworms, calci-worms/black soldier fly larvae (I had to mix these with wax worms at first to get him to eat them) and super worms. Wax worms and hornworms are more of a treat. Hornworms are great in that they can latch onto greens!
*Just a note the people who had him before were nice people and loved him! They just got bad info on some things!
Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom