My 40gallon is not hot enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deftones

Original Poster
I think this is his poop, although I can't explain the white part. Got him friday and this is the first thing I've seen in his home poop related:

y8W9kY2.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So did you get the temps? And what are they running? The urate looks a little dry -- how is your beardie getting water?
Karrie

Deftones

Original Poster
KarrieRee":ts0u4mit said:
So did you get the temps? And what are they running? The urate looks a little dry -- how is your beardie getting water?
Karrie

Well I found it when I woke up from a nap and it was in the basking area so I'm not sure how long it was sitting there, but it was pretty damn hot, had a 150W bulb that I switched back to a 100W bulb today so it prolly dried out a good amount. Not sure what it looked like when he pooped and peed cause I was napping. Temps on top of the rock with the 150W (using the infrared thermo) was 135 degrees at the top of the rock. I could tell it was too hot for him so I lowered it back to 100W and measured again a little bit ago and the top of the rock is now 110-115 degrees. Seems to be much better like this, always open for criticism though.

I got my reptisun terrarium T5 HO 5.0 today. Still waiting for the 10.0 to come in the mail.

I really need some ideas on how to mount this light on the inside. I was thinking of cutting a hole for the cord and then using some kind of strong line to tie each side of the hood so it stays. I am also considering buying another hood and having two T5 HOs on the ceiling of the enclosure. Any ideas? Since I still have the T8, I have the T5 and my old T8 on top of the enclosure for now.

Ran all out of dubias/crickets too, so I am trying to feed him dry food until these 1,000 dubias come in the mail which says it takes 2 days to deliver..

Here are some pics taken 10 min ago:

XJTITbW.jpg

cC372Xz.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Dry food? Pellets? Are you giving him vegies like mustard greens / collard greens - green beans - squash any kind - green peppers red peppers occasional food - fruit like apple mango strawberries blueberries etc no citrus--- you can hang the fixture w/ fishing line - string- maybe look for some hangers from your local hardware store but I would think your not going to need 2 UVB's once the T 5 is in side tank -- you might want to try a 75 watt basking bulb and go from there but the temp 110 -115 might even be too hot --- 90-105 is good
Karrie

Deftones

Original Poster
KarrieRee":ojggh5ao said:
Dry food? Pellets? Are you giving him vegies like mustard greens / collard greens - green beans - squash any kind - green peppers red peppers occasional food - fruit like apple mango strawberries blueberries etc no citrus--- you can hang the fixture w/ fishing line - string- maybe look for some hangers from your local hardware store but I would think your not going to need 2 UVB's once the T 5 is in side tank -- you might want to try a 75 watt basking bulb and go from there but the temp 110 -115 might even be too hot --- 90-105 is good
Karrie

Yes I bought turnip/mustard/acorn squash and yesterday I fed him some dry worms, he won't even touch the pellets. Picking up some more crickets after work today until my roaches come in. Bought another infrared gun with the laser cause I'm not a big fan of the one I have now.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
ok sounds good when you get it you can figure out from there what you need to do -- if not you can always ask for ideas-- also you might want to look for some 3M Command hooks for the fixture and see if they will work
Karrie

Deftones

Original Poster
T10 came in today. got the BSFL and measured the container at 62.5 F. Most of them are not moving, wondering if they are dead. Can I give my beardie dead BSFL's ?

SPandS

Juvie Member
Hey how are things going? Did you figure out what you wanted to do with the lights? Those tanks actually have a spot along the back where a cord can go if you want to put the fixture under the screen without having to cut anything.

How does your dragon like the new temps? If he still doesn't like going to the top of his rock you could try a lower wattage bulb and see if he likes it better. I have my basking bulb in a dome with a dimmer, it makes it so much easier for me to adjust the temp, especially as the seasons change.

The bsfl should have warmed up and started moving around again, they keep longer if they're cool and won't turn into flies as fast. In the summer I keep mine in the fridge, on the door where it's warmer cause they can die if too cold. My guys like them in the larvae form as well as flies, they are much easier to catch as larvae though.

Deftones

Original Poster
SandP":1jcxj0sb said:
Hey how are things going? Did you figure out what you wanted to do with the lights? Those tanks actually have a spot along the back where a cord can go if you want to put the fixture under the screen without having to cut anything.

How does your dragon like the new temps? If he still doesn't like going to the top of his rock you could try a lower wattage bulb and see if he likes it better. I have my basking bulb in a dome with a dimmer, it makes it so much easier for me to adjust the temp, especially as the seasons change.

The bsfl should have warmed up and started moving around again, they keep longer if they're cool and won't turn into flies as fast. In the summer I keep mine in the fridge, on the door where it's warmer cause they can die if too cold. My guys like them in the larvae form as well as flies, they are much easier to catch as larvae though.

Hey SandP thanks for responding, didn't even know there were until you said something and just checked, sure enough they are there! That makes things easier I will just need something to mount to now.

I actually moved the bulb down to a 75W. I feel like this is perfect bulb wattage for me after trying a couple higher ones. Measures in at 105-110 on the tip top of the rock and he seems to be going to the top a lot more now. Fed him a bunch of dubias today, they are definitely the easiest. Still have a good amount of larvae and just put them in the fridge cause I definitely do not want them turning into flies then I have them flying all over my condo when I open it lol. The thing I don't like with the BSFL is they are swimming in that dirt/coconut fiber mixture and you have to clean them off before feeding which takes longer than the roaches where I basically just swipe a good 7-8 of them in one move with the tongs and drop them into a smooth bowl with vitamin powder, do a little shake and just drop it into the terrarium. Right now I am feeding as much dubias and he will eat in a 10 minute period. He clears out a bowl of 20-25 of them in about 2 minutes not kidding. I gave him prolly two servings so prolly a good 45-50 roaches in one meal. These are the 1/4'' - 3/16'' dubias btw.

Pic of my beardie, Chi:

yNsrFwu.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Good heavens he eats alot! You can always rinse them under water- the nutri grubs which I think are the same as BFL come to me in like a dirt--- fine dirt- I rinse them under the faucet and put them on a paper towel -
Karrie

Deftones

Original Poster
I am going to buy the breeder kit from Josh's Frogs (only an hour away from me :D) and breed my own dubias, should be fun.

I let my beardie into the tub where they were and he massacred a lot of them before I took him out lmao

SPandS

Juvie Member
Glad to hear that he is eating so well. Have you though about using picture hanging wire to hang the fixture to the screen. Just thread it through the screen and around the fixture near the ends and if you want to be extra cautious you can do it again in the middle.

Deftones

Original Poster
SandP":2ldx9wvv said:
Glad to hear that he is eating so well. Have you though about using picture hanging wire to hang the fixture to the screen. Just thread it through the screen and around the fixture near the ends and if you want to be extra cautious you can do it again in the middle.

I still need to do that with mounting it on the inside but I will!

I started breeding dubias, bought 5 males and 15 females. Got them in a smooth large container with a Zilla screen on top and a 100W ceramic heat emitter. Got them about 1-2 weeks ago and they are already making babies :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom