Intro video to our herps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickyj

I thought I might grab all the photos of my Lawsons as I have only had herps for about 1.5 years, and make a slide show. Little did I realise, even keeping only the good ones, that is a huge amount of images.

I thought that this might help other people new to keeping lizards, to see the path ahead and may in some way help them plan.

I have learnt a lot about lizards in this time. I might not have it all perfect and am still learning but I thought it might be interesting to see Lizards from babies, to gravid, to parents.
I have also had one death and had some illness to battle.

Here is the YouTube link. https://youtu.be/ey2-F3WyU8I

Here are the milestones
- (O Sec) Intro
- (25 sec) We visit the pet store
- (1:12) We purchase the lizards and the equipment ($$$)
- (1:33) We name the lizards and put them into their new homes
- (6:20) We learn about UV, temp, humidity, greens and calcium (and get our first power bill $$$) (6:10 lizard chases temp sensor lights)
- (6:35) We loose one into the lounge
- (6:43) Bernie passes away due to ADV (RIP)
- (7:17) First shed
- (7:52) Buddy has too much Coccidia and needs treatment
- (8:03) Buddy is by himself
- (20:38) We get a friend for Buddy, another male (lil mister)
- (37:32) Licence obtained to keep 2 lizards
- (37:14) Brumation
- (37:42) Shed again
- (38:11) Lil mister is actually Big momma and Gravid (whoops)
- (40:31) Big Momma lays eggs
- (40:49) Big momma bury's eggs (47:02 using head as jack hammer)
- (47:08) Washing off big momma
- (47:34) Recovery of the eggs
- (47:52) Using the incubator, storing eggs carefully, leave eggs the right way up
- (48:22) Candling
- (49:44) Setup for the new babies
- (49:53) The eggs hatch (100%)
- (58:36) Babies (1:22:00 eating)
- (122:15) Glitch - black screen
- (1:22:34) interesting photos of the babies
- (1:22:52) Err ... family planning .. again
- (1:23:01) Ili mister (now called Sandy) is digging again
- (1:23:23) Sandy is Gravid again
- (1:25:45) Sandy lays clutch 2
- (1:28:51) Sandy burying clutch
- (1:38:56) Recovery of the second clutch
- (1:39:59) incubation
- (1:40:33) candling

and that is where we are now "rinse and repeat"

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
This is a good compilation, especially the parts showing how the lay box works. Thanks for putting it together =)

Mickyj

Original Poster
CooperDragon":38psdzsh said:
This is a good compilation, especially the parts showing how the lay box works. Thanks for putting it together =)

Thanks,

It has been a huge journey and I figured a lot of the stresses and questions I have had, could be outlined in a format others can watch :)

Now I have hatchlings from 21 Jan 2019 already shedding skin and working out how to bath 13 beardies without drowning them. These guys are a constant changing ecosystem of their own.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Wow 13 at once. I haven't thought about that problem yet. I'd probably try using a large baking sheet with a towel on the bottom and fill that wit water up to their elbows and let them run around if they can be bathed together.

Mickyj

Original Poster
CooperDragon":ju88hi38 said:
Wow 13 at once. I haven't thought about that problem yet. I'd probably try using a large baking sheet with a towel on the bottom and fill that wit water up to their elbows and let them run around if they can be bathed together.

Yeah, lets say I am not doing that again .... 4 of them ganged up on one, pushed it's head under water. It bloated and went all limp/pale by the time I got to it.

I grabbed it, dangled it, water ran out of items mouth, placed direct under the lamps and heated him up. Took 20 minutes and I got lucky. It is up and running about again but a little water cautious.

Interesting, the others now are all sitting in their water bowl. Maybe a positive for the others and they are now learning to play in water :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad you were able to get to the little guy in time to save him. They do gang up on eachother sometimes. Nipped toes/fingers and tails are common too. What are you going to do with all of them? Are you going to build a bunch of enclosures or adopt them out?

Mickyj

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3bpv2v7p said:
I'm glad you were able to get to the little guy in time to save him. They do gang up on eachother sometimes. Nipped toes/fingers and tails are common too. What are you going to do with all of them? Are you going to build a bunch of enclosures or adopt them out?

Hello,

As we have 13 and another 11 on the way, given the power bills and feeding costs (let alone the costs of enclosures), now that we have a licence, we aim to adopt out.

It's not fair to keep this many as we can't attend to them all (as evident from the near drowning).

We can't sell or gift them interstate so we will need to find new owners locally :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom