Coccidia (isospora) oocysts.

This forum is for people to discuss the issues specifically around having to deal with infectious diseases such as Adeno virus or Coccidia.

Coccidia (isospora) oocysts.

Postby tempaccntforhelp » Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:37 pm

I recently did a parasite test, I used a pooled sample and the results come back with occasional amount of coccidia (isospora) oocysts and a pinworm count of less than 50 eggs per gram. Do I need to treat this and if so how? I would really appreciate some feedback.
Last edited by tempaccntforhelp on Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tempaccntforhelp
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Coccidia (Isospora) Oocysts

Postby KarrieRee » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:26 pm

Need to get feedback on this from either TracieDrache613 or AHBD --maybe kingofnobbys can help as well-
Karrie
KarrieRee
Gray-bearded Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:54 pm

Light parasite loads are often left untreated in otherwise healthy dragons. High quality lighting, a good, varied diet, and clean enclosure should help their system manage on it's own. I would focus on keeping everything well cleaned and sanitized as a start. If you decide to treat it, Ponazuril is usually what's used to eliminate coccidia and Panacur is effective against pinworms.
CooperDragon
BD.org Sicko

Postby Drache613 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:17 pm

Moved by Moderator from Beardie ER to Infectious Diseases
Drache613

Re: Coccidia (isospora) oocysts.

Postby tempaccntforhelp » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:30 pm

CooperDragon wrote:Light parasite loads are often left untreated in otherwise healthy dragons. High quality lighting, a good, varied diet, and clean enclosure should help their system manage on it's own. I would focus on keeping everything well cleaned and sanitized as a start. If you decide to treat it, Ponazuril is usually what's used to eliminate coccidia and Panacur is effective against pinworms.

Thank you very much for the feedback. Are there any warning signs I should be looking out for?
Last edited by tempaccntforhelp on Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tempaccntforhelp
Newbie Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:57 pm

Lethargic behavior, weight loss, lack of appetite, extremely smelly or messy poops for an extended period of time. Things like that may indicate the immune system is having trouble keeping up.
CooperDragon
BD.org Sicko

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Dealing with Infectious Diseases