Beardie First Aid Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Hello all,

I've decided I want to make a beardie first aid kit, just because you never know when you might need something and I live in the middle of nowhere so having things on hand would be a lot easier.

I've read a lot of posts that recommend unpasteurized manuka honey for a variety things to help beardies, and I was wondering if there's a specific brand that is better than others? I'm going to be checking the health food stores to see if they sell any soon.

Thanks

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's a good idea! I have a jar of manuka honey from Tracie's site, but having any raw/unpasteurized honey on hand should do. I like to have reptile shipping heat packs on hand as well as some extra water and food. I have my lighting on a computer battery backup in case of power outages. It's also very helpful to have an activated charcoal kit on hand. http://www.bug-de-lite.com/ccp8/Item/Emergency_Charcoal_Kit

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":399r482z said:
That's a good idea! I have a jar of manuka honey from Tracie's site, but having any raw/unpasteurized honey on hand should do. I like to have reptile shipping heat packs on hand as well as some extra water and food. I have my lighting on a computer battery backup in case of power outages. It's also very helpful to have an activated charcoal kit on hand. http://www.bug-de-lite.com/ccp8/Item/Emergency_Charcoal_Kit

Is the store for Tracie located in the US? I'm in Canada and I know sometimes they won't allow food or liquids across the border. There's a brand I found here called Wedderspoon that's supposed to be totally natural and non-GMO, so I'll probably look more into it.

Having your lighting on a back up battery is a really smart idea! Was that difficult to set up?

Also thanks for the link to the emergency charcoal, I almost forgot I'd need to get that too :s

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The charcoal kit is from Tracie's site too. She's based in Texas but may be able to ship over the border. I'd just ask her and she'll let you know either way. You can get charcoal kits at a drug store too. I find her kit helpful mainly because it has a dosage chart that's easy to read and a scoop & vial to mix it properly and quickly. When charcoal is needed it's usually fairly urgent and I'm in a panic so making the measurement as quick and easy as possible (and having the kit small and portable) is a big help.

That wedderspoon honey looks like it will do the trick. Raw and even manuka varieties available according to their website. You don't need much. A tiny jar should last for quite a long time.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I highly recommend some 1ml and 5ml and 10ml syringes.
+
a proper feeding syringe
+
at least a 18G , a 14G and a 10G crop needle (incase you need to give meds and foods made up as slurries and pastes to a sick dragon)
+ a few 22G SureFlo Catheters (remove the metal needle , keep the plastic tube) , good for giving meds and liquid supps
+ a 14G blunt drawing needle (to draw honey from the Activon tube to the syringe)
+ 14G syringe nozzles & some syringe caps ,
see viewtopic.php?f=45&t=232687

+
a bottle of HerpaBoost
+
a bottle of VetaFarm Critta Care Reptile
+
activated carbon
+
a tube of Activon Manuka Honey
+
a bottle of Betadiene
+
a tube of F10 Ointment
+
a tube of https://www.neosporin.com/products/wound-care/original-antibiotic-ointment
+
a tube of https://www.countrysidepet.com/products/terramycin-antibiotic-ophthalmic-ointment-by-pfizer
+
a dressing pack (includes tray and swabs and plastic tweezers)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Syringes are a good one too. I have a big pack of those plastic syringes as well as a curved plastic syringe. I use them mainly for feeding but they can be useful for meds and the curved syringe can produce a bit of power for cleaning gums and around eyes (carefully). I keep jars of baby food on hand too but that's more for an emergency rescue if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom