Brand new to this! Any advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1993

Hello all! I just adopted a bearded dragon about 2 weeks ago. I started out with a 10 gallon tank and quickly realized that isn’t going to be big enough. I went out and purchased the Exo Terra 40gallon large tank ( 36x18x18 ). I’m trying to figure out what Fluorescent UVB Light fixture fits perfectly on the top of it? Currently I’m using the Zoo Med Desert UVB and heat dual dome with the bulbs it came with. Any advice I can get to ensure my beardie is happy would be more then appreciated!

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Nick1993":3arpw9cv said:
Hello all! I just adopted a bearded dragon about 2 weeks ago. I started out with a 10 gallon tank and quickly realized that isn’t going to be big enough. I went out and purchased the Exo Terra 40gallon large tank ( 36x18x18 ). I’m trying to figure out what Fluorescent UVB Light fixture fits perfectly on the top of it? Currently I’m using the Zoo Med Desert UVB and heat dual dome with the bulbs it came with. Any advice I can get to ensure my beardie is happy would be more then appreciated!
How old is your new little BOSS?
You will soon find out that a 40gl viv is the MINIMUM amount of space your dragon will need (there is no maximum) optimum is a 4x2x2 or longer.
The UVB you are talking about is a Reptisun 10.0 T5HO or an Arcadia 12%D3 (these brands are the best on the market so far, anything else is junk) at least 24" up to 36" for the 40gl and the 36" will work well in a 48" Viv too. Those coil type bulbs are not meant for dragons and, can be harmful to them Healthwise.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please feel free to ask more questions- where did you get your baby from? Please send pics of tank and your baby -- and we can help more from what we see thank you
Karrie

Nick1993

Original Poster
Gormagon- I am not 100% sure as to the ago of my Beardie. My guess is his/her birthdate was around early December. I named him/her Daenerys! ( from game of thrones ). I've done a fair amount of research and agree that the reptisun UVB fluorescent Bulb is the best and that exactly what i plan to get. Im looking at getting the Zoo Med Reptisun 36in hood but was worried about how it would sit on top of my terrarium with the crossbars on the screen. Also didn't want it hanging off the sides.

KarrieRee- I got Daenerys from PetSmart about 2 weeks Ago, I picked him/her out based on the fact he/she was the most active and healthy looking! So far he/she seems to love his/her terrarium but was stressed when I first put her/him into the new bigger terrarium. seems to be fine now! eating well and pooping once per day! I still need to get some more stuff for the Terrarium but waiting for more funds haha

**** Also i would love to post pictures but not exactly sure how to do that as I am brand new to this site.

Nick1993

Original Poster
[ximg]103337 9018929419[/ximg][ximg]103337 889280597[/ximg][ximg]103337 4497159012[/ximg]

These are the current lights that I am using. The lighting kit came with a 75w bulb which i just replaced with a 100w bulb. I do plan to upgrade to an actually hood and a T8 ReptiSun bulb very soon.

Nick1993

Original Poster
Here are some pictures of the enclosure now. The First picture of the tank is what it was like but made some changes today to hopefully make him/her happier! I also purchased a temp gun today but waiting a little bit to get an accurate reading once the new 100w bulb fully warms everything up.

[ximg]103337 7485342454[/ximg] OLD
[ximg]103337 7620446803[/ximg] New
[ximg]103337 1857004385[/ximg]
103337-9648744179.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes the UVB is going to need to go into the tank the T 8 is ok but people on here recommend the T 5- the UVB rays should be 12%-14%- I hope you are not using that red infrared light- it tends to hurt their eyes--- they dont need lights on at nite
Karrie

Nick1993

Original Poster
KarrieRee":29kn2vm9 said:
Yes the UVB is going to need to go into the tank the T 8 is ok but people on here recommend the T 5- the UVB rays should be 12%-14%- I hope you are not using that red infrared light- it tends to hurt their eyes--- they dont need lights on at nite
Karrie

If I get the T5 version would it still have to go inside of the tank? I'm trying to prevent that, not really a fan of the idea. Of course want what's beast for my beardie though! & yes i have been using the infrared heat lamp at night when its his bedtime. I can switch it to a different one if that's the case, I tend to sleep with my in home heat at 68 so wanted to make sure the terrarium didn't go low. They don't need any heat lamp at night period???

Nick1993

Original Poster
On another note here is what i have as far as the temp goes for his basking spot. very happy with where its at now with the bulb change.
103337-178132779.jpg
103337-246110354.jpg
103337-1943520839.jpg

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Yes, those first two pics are bad for your dragon, (the coil and, the red one). Dragons prefer it to be Dark and Cool at night to allow them to rest and, slow their metabolism. You only need to supply heat at night nif the temps in your home drop below 65 at night. If it does you can use a CHE {ceramic heat emitter} to supply heat, no illumination of any color at night.
That coil light I wouldn't put on a frog. They have been known to cause eye issues with dragons. As I recommended earlier in this thread the Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 or the Arcadia 12%D3 are the way to go. You will need to mount it under the screen top for maximum effect.

Nick1993

Original Poster
Gormagon":14av1nzp said:
Yes, those first two pics are bad for your dragon, (the coil and, the red one). Dragons prefer it to be Dark and Cool at night to allow them to rest and, slow their metabolism. You only need to supply heat at night nif the temps in your home drop below 65 at night. If it does you can use a CHE {ceramic heat emitter} to supply heat, no illumination of any color at night.
That coil light I wouldn't put on a frog. They have been known to cause eye issues with dragons. As I recommended earlier in this thread the Reptisun T5 HO 10.0 or the Arcadia 12%D3 are the way to go. You will need to mount it under the screen top for maximum effect.

Okay, I am getting ready to purchase the reptisun t5 fixture & bulb. My question is they sell a 30'' and a 36'', I do not believe the 36'' will fit inside, so just making sure the 30'' will suffice ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Measure your tank length- its up to you- I have a 24" in mine and my tank is 4 ft- it seems to work just fine-- he lays under I have over one of his favorite logs
Karrie

Nick1993

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3u0jwo2h said:
Measure your tank length- its up to you- I have a 24" in mine and my tank is 4 ft- it seems to work just fine-- he lays under I have over one of his favorite logs
Karrie

Okay, Thanks a lot!

One more question... I did not turn on the red infrared night light tonight & temp seems to be holding around 72 degrees. Will the light from my TV bother him? Since you say he likes it dark? & how am I to see what the temp is at night if so? ( tonight I quickly turned on the red light to see what the temp was ). Is there any type of "Night Light" that is okay to use for night viewing?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
If you need to check on him just turn the light on and look-- I am sure he will be fine - he can go into his hide to get away from the glare of the TV- you can check your temp in the morning before you turn his lights on and that will give you the temp its been all nite - you dont need any type of light on at nite - they like it dark to sleep like us --
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom