2 basking lamps per cage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Targ

Hey guys, I have a 7 year old lady and she can't move around too much, has a bum back leg. Anyhow, I have a 100 watt basking bulb above her basking spot, but the temps are still about 10 degrees too cool. I have seen pics where there are more than one basking light bulb - could I add a second light? I have placed the basking bulb on top of the mesh top and it's shining right down on her "throne".. which is a hammock with tons of rolled up t-shirts underneath to support her. There is a cave under the shirts, too. I can post pics, but it's quite primitive lol.

I also have a juvenille beardie in a 45 gallon tank and same thing, still about 10 degrees off. His cage is a bit more complex as his health is fine. Happy to post pics, but just a general question: will adding a second basking bulb/light help the temps or would it be too much heat? Thanks all!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
How are you taking temps? W/ a Infrared temp gun? I wouldnt do anything if that is not how your reading/ taking temps?
Karrie

Targ

Original Poster
Hey Karrie, thanks for your response. Yes, I am using a laser pointer thing! Quick update: I was taking my 7 year old girls' temp incorrectly and she is perfectly fine, haha. I am still in the process of getting my juvy settled, and his basking spot reads about 75-80 (with the gun pointer thing). I am attaching a few images of what his basking area looks like. Not sure if I need to move the spot further up towards the light?

95326-9309017597.jpg
95326-8848356930.jpg
95326-5155609976.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Laser pointer thing??????????????? Is it like a gun? It uses a infrared light to pick up the heat! Please see the post on the Enclosure Board post Correct Way to Use Infrared Gun- take the temp w/ that and then go from there - if it truly is not hot enough basking should be 90-105 -- babies like it warmer side then you can always put in a hotter bulb 150 watt or you can put some Styrofoam example on the outside of the back of tank - kinda like insulating the tank - or you can always buy a heat emitter to put on top of tank no light just the coil bulb - I use one of those on mine but I live in MN so its cold -- it stays on 24/7 during the winter months plus I have Hiccup in my home office where I tend to keep the room warmer for him like the door shut -- there are many ways to get the temp up in the tank but you need to get the accurate temp first -- you dont want to cook your dragon --others might also give you some ideas on how to get temps up

Karrie

Targ

Original Poster
Yes, I am using the laser pointer 2" away from the surface. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the styrofoam suggestion, his cage is in an open area and it does get drafty so some insulation might be clutch, thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom