So...the neighbor's cat brought me a...shocking present :( !

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
So my neighbor's cat is an outdoor cat. Really nice and friendly cat that sometimes visits me in the backyard and hangs out. I usually have a little bowl of water on the front porch and I see him drink from it from time to time, on rare occasions I leave a few pieces of shredded chicken, and I'v also seen him eat. So the cat has grown accustomed to me and likes me. So much that he sometimes occasionally brings me "gifts" like dead rats or some wild tiny animal. Cute thing for him to do this, but gross as sometimes it leaves stained dried blood (ew) that I just wash off.

But this morning... he brought a dead...bearded dragon. Looked like a juvenile. And I was in very mixed feelings of shock and sadness. Sometime must of let the beardie go free outside, or was ni the backyard soaking the sun, or something. But I ended up burying the little guy.

I'm REALLY hoping it was an accident from the owner, and not just let the beardie go free for some reason, or malintent.

I'm just telling this story to raise awareness of loving your beardie. If you can't take care of him anymore, set him up for adoption, donate to a shelter, or even give it to someone for free. Never just let it go free outside, as it will not survive at all for very long.

I don't know if its my place to go door to door in my neighborhood and start asking questions, as that will probably lead nowhere and I dont want to start any trouble.

Just makes me really sad.

Please hug, kiss, and cuddle your beardie. They are precious pets. Just like any dog or cat. They can be part of the family. I know my beardie Steve is...

Love your beardie, take care of him, if can't for any reason, do the right thing to find him a home. As wilderness can't be a home for them.

I love my guy:
93594-2792113265.jpg
93594-6117308754.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no, that could not have been pleasant to receive that from the neighbor's cat like that.
How unfortunate for the poor dragon. Someone must have let him out or, he accidentally
got let out or escaped & didn't make it.
That is so sad.
Your dragon's pictures look terrific!

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Set a trap for the cat , they can borrowed from the RSPCA , and have the council ranger take the cat away - odds on it's neither chipped, registered or collared, and with a bit of luck it will never be returned to them. Don't tell the neigbhours you are trapping the cats, as far as they are concerned the cats will simply just disappear.

I'd also be stopping encouraging the cat from visiting , throw rocks at it and chase it away when ever you see it in your yard . If you are in a rural area, just shoot it.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Drache613":2o3sfw22 said:
Hello,

Oh no, that could not have been pleasant to receive that from the neighbor's cat like that.
How unfortunate for the poor dragon. Someone must have let him out or, he accidentally
got let out or escaped & didn't make it.
That is so sad.
Your dragon's pictures look terrific!

Tracie

Tracie , in Australia most cat owners let their cats roam 24/7 , so the cats just visit for feeds and maybe to take advantage of a bed or a chair or heater (in winter).

Majority of cat owners don't give a toss what their cats do when on the roam or care about what critters they are killing.

It's a huge problem and I wish the CSIRO would develop a biological weapon that can be released to exterminate cats (feral, strays and free roaming pet cats, same way they did for rabbits), the best result (in terms of wildlife protection) would be for cats (an introduced apex predator and vermin) to be driven to extinction here in Australian and deemed prohibited.
A single free ranging pet cat will exterminate EVERY lizard, frog, small marcupial and bird in an area of several suburban blocks in a few weeks.
I've seen house cats take possums down out from trees (the cat was leaping to grab the animal with it's fangs and claws) , and kill them , and they are known to kill wallabies and koalas too.

IMO , the only good cat is a dead one.

Especially since councils are unwilling to upset the cat lovers by enforcing and strengthening restrictions on cat ownership and to compel cat owners to keep their cats locked up in their homes or cat runs.
I've tried asking local cat owners to keep their cats indoors and out of my yard, result, fogged off.
I no longer ask, I simply make the cats disappear quietly if I can catch them.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Stray cats don't visit at my house (for long), I live a 1/4 mile off the road in the middle of a 100 acre field and, don't want any more animals around here. Coyotes don't even come close anymore because they have ranged me, LOL!!! 17 in the last 5 years.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Gormagon":38b3yhs0 said:
Stray cats don't visit at my house (for long), I live a 1/4 mile off the road in the middle of a 100 acre field and, don't want any more animals around here. Coyotes don't even come close anymore because they have ranged me, LOL!!! 17 in the last 5 years.

IMO if the cat is outside and on the roam it's behaviorally indistinguishable from a feral cat , I don't care if it's someone's pet , or if it's registered or not. Given the opportunity , EVERY CAT KILLS and EVERY CAT TORTURES anything it can catch , they are HARDWIRED this way and it can't be trained / bred out of them.

I will try to catch it to kill it if I see it on my property.

SPandS

Juvie Member
kingofnobbys":kxws06oo said:
IMO if the cat is outside and on the roam it's behaviorally indistinguishable from a feral cat , I don't care if it's someone's pet , or if it's registered or not. Given the opportunity , EVERY CAT KILLS and EVERY CAT TORTURES anything it can catch , they are HARDWIRED this way and it can't be trained / bred out of them.

You are a horrible human being. What's the difference between any thing that eats meat? Do your lizards not kill? Have we not all heard stories of dragons attacking anything smaller than it? Even other dragons? It's a good thing you live on the other side of the planet because if you lived near me not only would you be reported for animal cruelty but if you ever touch my pet you'd better watch your back.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
SandP":1ck5ccdl said:
kingofnobbys":1ck5ccdl said:

You are a horrible human being. What's the difference between any thing that eats meat? Do your lizards not kill? Have we not all heard stories of dragons attacking anything smaller than it? Even other dragons? It's a good thing you live on the other side of the planet because if you lived near me not only would you be reported for animal cruelty but if you ever touch my pet you'd better watch your back

Attacking a person for an opinion on this board is an infraction of the rules set by the mods. Threatening them is even worse, IMO!!!
I believe an apology is in order here!!!

SPandS

Juvie Member
Gormagon":3ie1tepq said:
SandP":3ie1tepq said:
kingofnobbys":3ie1tepq said:

You are a horrible human being. What's the difference between any thing that eats meat? Do your lizards not kill? Have we not all heard stories of dragons attacking anything smaller than it? Even other dragons? It's a good thing you live on the other side of the planet because if you lived near me not only would you be reported for animal cruelty but if you ever touch my pet you'd better watch your back

Attacking a person for an opinion on this board is an infraction of the rules set by the mods. Threatening them is even worse, IMO!!!
I believe an apology is in order here!!!

He can not only condone theft, acts of violence and admit that he murders other people's pets but I can't call him what he is? What about him calling people names? He just did it today on another post. If I get banned than so be it but I will not apologize. Killing something because it kills makes you no better then the thing you are killing, if anything it makes you worse because as a human you should know better.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
So what you are saying is in effect that: We as humans have no right to defend our property, pets, lively hoods or, our own lives. Wow, you must live in a fluffy little world my friend.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hey guys, Tracie will be back to sort this out or lock the thread if the arguing continues. BTW, beardie AND cat lover myself !! . Smaug, where do you live ? In some states people mistake fence lizards + others for baby beardies at times. It may have been one of those.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
AHBD":3u5rd174 said:
Hey guys, Tracie will be back to sort this out or lock the thread if the arguing continues. BTW, beardie AND cat lover myself !! . Smaug, where do you live ? In some states people mistake fence lizards + others for baby beardies at times. It may have been one of those.
Thank you!!!

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
SandP":1ghxsev6 said:
kingofnobbys":1ghxsev6 said:

You are a horrible human being. What's the difference between any thing that eats meat? Do your lizards not kill? Have we not all heard stories of dragons attacking anything smaller than it? Even other dragons? It's a good thing you live on the other side of the planet because if you lived near me not only would you be reported for animal cruelty but if you ever touch my pet you'd better watch your back.

This. Sorry but I wouldn't hurt the cat at all. If anything yes, I would report it. I'v tried making the cat stop bringing me dead animals. Not by throwing a rock or anything like that, never like that, just by "shooing" it or scarying him away.
I don't condone outside cats, I believe cats should be indoors at all times, if not, on a leash. But this cat is extremely friendly, always rubs against my legs when I'm on my backyard, hell, even plays catch with a tennis ball (except doesnt return the ball). The cat has brought me many dead animals, its of course something I DONT like, something that developed as the cat grew fond of me, i guess since I encouraged it by giving him water and food. I HAVE tried to discourage him from bringing me dead animals but usually nothing but those tiny wild dirt lizards (EDIT: fence lizards), or a tiny mouse (i guess thats good instead of mice being in my home), and once in a while a tiny bird (those i do feel bad for. It was just this super rare occasion that..it was a beardie. And since I have one myself that care for and love for, it shocked me and made me a angry that the beardie was let go or escaped. I didn't want to take a picture of it and post it here either, it was sad enough.
But in no way will I hurt the cat for doing its biological insinct of being a predator.
Just...love your beardie, take care of him, put a leash when taking him outside, etc.
And lastly, about the cat, it's technically a "feral" cat, since it basically lives outside (i never see him during the night, so most likely returns to his owners house at night), and the cat does not look at all malnourished, injured, or anything. It's actually kinda chubby, nice fur, etc. Feral cats most of the time are left for to fend for themselves and run away scared when people are around, so this cat might not be "feral", just a cat that spends most of its time outside.
And, i mean, I can't stop the cat from doing what he is doing, hunting and killing animals outside. I don't think its my place to trap the cat, report it, and have it never returned to his owners. the owners probably love the cat and grew to spend most of its time outside.
But again, this time its a bearded dragon. And as I said before, I dont think its my place to go door to door looking for blaming or trouble.
As I said before, its just to raise awareness to be careful when handling your beardie outside, use a leash, or if you can't take care of it anymore, give him up for adoption, sell it, or for free, as long as its got a home.

BeardieSmaug

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Gormagon":19liutn9 said:
AHBD":19liutn9 said:
Thank you!!!

I live in thousand oaks, southern california. But it wasn't a fence lizard, I recognized the shape of its head, spikes and all, of a bearded dragon.

EDIT: Actually, I just looked at pictures of fence lizards, they look VERY alike. But I was sure it was a bearded dragon, mainly because of the shape of its head, the spikes on the sides of the body (not just scales). I'd say about 8-9 inches head to tail.
But you know that's a very good point, they do look exactly alike. I dont wan't to unbury it and take another look though, but maybe it could of been a fence lizard! (I hope so)

On my reply that I did above, I said the cat has brought me several (tiny wild dirt lizards) over the last year or so, I meant fence lizards, just didn't know the proper name for them.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Everyone!
Last night when I posted, I knew that there would be trouble on this thread & I knew some could not resist bashing cats & we all know who it is! I think that you enjoy receiving warnings for some reason. Everyone should know the rules here, there is to be NO personal attacks or bashings whatsoever. Even if you do not agree with someone's opinion, you are not allowed to be rude, call them a bad owner, etc, etc. It is uncalled for. I am locking this thread because it is just going to become more of a cat bashing thread than what the OP ever intended it to be.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom