New Baby Beardie won't eat

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had my new baby beardie since Tuesday, it is now Friday, and he has only eaten roughly one cricket per day. He won't eat anything I force feed him, and I think he's stressed out- doesn't like being held, and his color has gone darker, incl. "stress lines" on belly.

At what point should I go get slurry, or go to the vet? I'm so scared for him!

Edit: he has pooped 1/day and i got him to drink some water.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
He has relocation stress - give him time and he will come around--- I would not force feed him -- let him adjust - keep handling him petting him and eventually he will come around-- where did you get him from? Can you please post pics of his tank and him ? We can give you more tips once we see his set up -- thanks
Karrie

Missallisonleigh

Original Poster
full

Here’s a (bad) photo of his setup. Basking temp is around 100, cool side around 85. He basks constantly and sleeps in the branches.

Sorry for the water in the pic, I just misted him and took his food bowl out to replace his salad.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The dual lamp is a basking and UVB? I would replace the UVB w/a Reptisun 10.0 T5 or T8- or Arcadia 10.0 T5 -- both are long tube bulbs mounted in side the tank -- like around 6-8 inches from basking area- temps can be warmer for a baby- the UVB is crucial since it will prevent MBD - are you dusting his bugs w/ calcium d3 5 x per week? He also needs vitamins 2 x per week --
Karrie

Missallisonleigh

Original Poster
He’s *not eating* but what I have fed him has been dusted with reptical. The UVB bulb is a ReptiSun 10.0 UVB mini compact fluorescent.

He just pooped again, and has been alert.

How long until this becomes a problem? I’ve done nothing but stress about him for days.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Sometimes it takes a week or so to become adjusted -- just keep offering the bugs and offer him greens as well - mustard greens collard greens green bean -- squash any kind he probably wont eat it cuz his main diet would be bugs -- the mini compact UVB if I am thinking correctly isnt very good - some one else can answer that question or recommendation but I am thinking the long tubes are the best for UVB-- and the UVB is also crucial for diet and eating so ....
Karrie

Missallisonleigh

Original Poster
Thanks, KarrieRee. I’m really scared he’s going to hurt himself by not eating.

For reference, this is when I got him on Tuesday:
full

and this is him right now:
full

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I would still look at replacing the coil UVB w/ the long tube - I think that would be in the best interest of the dragon-- look at getting a Arcadia 10.0 T5- they are replaced one time per year whereas the Reptison is replaced 2 times per year-- UVB is like 12% or a little higher I can remember -- you will see a difference in his behavior and eating
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Are you talking about the eating? Just keep feeding him - weigh him now and then keep an eye on his weight-- if he starts to lose weight and continues then I would look at getting him to a reptile vet-

Karrie

Missallisonleigh

Original Poster
KarrieRee":7qe2ffz3 said:
Are you talking about the eating? Just keep feeding him - weigh him now and then keep an eye on his weight-- if he starts to lose weight and continues then I would look at getting him to a reptile vet-

Karrie

I will keep offering food of course, but seriously, how long until I should be worried? I’ve been in constant tears.

Please...

thank you for the bulb rec.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Keep track of his weight - if hes not losing it hes fine- if he starts to lose weight then be concerned and get him into vet
Karrie

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Yes you really need to replace the uvb with a reptisun 10.0 t5 tube. That will help a lot with activity, appetite and lethargy. The coil is pretty worthless. Also some of his behavior is related to relocation stress. That can last a week or two. He/she is a cutie. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom