Is my Bearded Dragon Dying? Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bearded dragon is around 9 years old now and he's starting to show some unusual signs.
The other day is beard turned really black, but other than that he seemed fine. Black beards are common and can happen for many reasons so I ignored it.
But today most of his body has gone white. Only is beard and tale are black. His eyes are swollen, droopy, and look wet. He is also acting incredibly lethargic.
His diet hasn't change recently and his cage temperature is fine. Are these just natural signs that you bearded dragon is close to death? Or is it normal and something I can fix?
Update:
He looks even worse then earlier and I don't have a vet that can look at him near me. Does anybodyt know of anything I can try at home?

103243-8589556221.jpg

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
That doesn't sound good. If you've had him for 9 years, I'm sure you wouldn't be mistaking a shed for a problem. I have read that if their gums are also pale, that could be a sign of anemia. I have also read a few posts on this board talking about beardies going white that have not made it. If you have a vet you can take him to, I think now would be the time.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Since he is that pale, it is very important to try & find a vet. Based on his condition, I would say
he is likely having either renal or liver issues which are the cause for the eyes trying to swell up.
At home, you can keep him comfortable & try to get oral fluids into him in case he is a little bit
dehydrated but outside of giving fluids intramuscularly or in the coelomic cavity via a vet, there
isn't much intervention you can do at home. You need to know what you are dealing with. If it
is renal related, then you could try giving some black cherry to help out the kidneys. Milk thistle
would help with liver issues. It could also be heart related, too.
He needs some assessment quickly.

You can try http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Reptile-Vets/

They usually have some good listings.
Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

personpersonson

Original Poster
Thanks for all the input.
Since we don't have a reptile vet with in 2 hours of us I am not able to take him to one.
Fortunately, I gave him a bath this morning and have been giving him lots of water (just in case he is dehydrated or shedding) and he is doing a lot better. The swelling in his eyes has gone down and his color has returned. He's still a little tired and his beard is a little black but he seems to be recovering. I will be keeping a close eye on him.

personpersonson

Original Poster
Thanks for all the input.
Since we don't have a reptile vet with in 2 hours of us I am not able to take him to one.
Fortunately, I gave him a bath this morning and have been giving him lots of water (just in case he is dehydrated or shedding) and he is doing a lot better. The swelling in his eyes has gone down and his color has returned. He's still a little tired and his beard is a little black but he seems to be recovering. I will be keeping a close eye on him.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Your boy has gotten a little better now, is his beard still dark? How do his eyes look now?
Could he have ingested something toxic?
Can you review his tank setup for us, such as the type/brand of UVB lighting, temperatures,
substrate & supplementation used so we can be sure everything is set up properly.
Are you still planning on taking him to the vets?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom