Mentally Retarded or Insane?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROOMA

Well after 8 months with Ouros we are sure he is mentally retarded. Bit of a list of issues.
As a baby he kept eating his tail and earned him his name, he literally ate as much as he could reach.

Growing up in a large glass terrarium he would bang his head on the glass til he too injured to keep it up, or too tired, would even run and ram it. Covering it up he climbed over the covers to bang his head at the top. We finally got him a huge 75 gallon solid wood one, and had to draw "bars" on the windows so he would stop banging his head on it. Sill have to get him off it sometimes and put him in a smaller box with no windows til he calms down.

He attacked his CHE and cooked himself...it was as smaller 75watt one for night time, no temp issues according to the temp gun. But he cooked himself a bit, thankfully he was shedding at the time and mostly scortched the stuff falling off on his chin.

We let him out daily, he has a basking light set up to stay warm under....he will run to the colder areas or even the freezing cold concrete at times....we find him a few mins after ice cold, unable to move his arms/legs, following us with his eyes. We then have to move him back to the warm spot til he warms back up....and he repeats.

For awhile he was scared of all crickets, and only ate dubia, he will eat freeze dried, or roasted ones if he has nothing else.

He often gets confused and angry, most days completely tame and will eat out of your hand if you offer a treat like a roach or berry. Other days he is complete ape **** and will tail whip you and lunge and attack your hand when you open it to change out the salad or water....I have some battle scars guy leaves nasty blood blisters and V shaped nips.

Sorta fitting really, I am a adult with Asperger, Bipolar, Adhd, Celiac, UC, I wonder if this is what my parents felt like dealing with me as a kid powerless to do anything but watch and feel sorry trying to make me comfortable.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
I really am at a loss for words. I think you should have named him "Peanut, Pecan, Cashew or Cocoa", LOL!!!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Never a dull moment with him.

Think most of this is down to husbandry, the reflective surfaces on the glass sided tank, territorial behaviours and rampant hormones.

ROOMA

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":3uy6bks5 said:
Never a dull moment with him.

Think most of this is down to husbandry, the reflective surfaces on the glass sided tank, territorial behaviours and rampant hormones.

I think you might be onto something here. We are the two males in this building, and I work out with weights and stationary bike 2-4 hours a day in my spare time. Imagine the testosterone and stress hormones I emit from my constant anxiety, stress, and workouts have him getting so many mixed signals. I am always stressed....sorta got him to talk to as I pace back and forth comtemplating my life and meanings. Works great in that regard but NOW you made me realize that others and animals pick up on these...I am Autistic with Asperger Syndrome, we do not pick up on social atmospheres, relationships, etc.

Lol maybe I am driving him nuts, well he got the prize a hour ago. I reached in to refill his water dish...that he was standing next to. He got my ring finger biting straight through my finger nail on top...looks like a bunch of sewing needles punched through it, and cut through my flesh like a razor. Just lunged and took a bite and I pulled out with him clamped on and pulled him off. He just looked at me mouth open, and I gave him a gentle toss back in and cleaned the wound, bunch of gauze and tape.

SO I just got through now changing hte water while he sat back there mouth open (beard not black). From a perspective of territorial male half this stuff makes sense if he was seeing his reflection and trying to attack it. The CHE is shiny black...so he attacked it learning quickly not to. I still can not make out his cold/hot issues outside the tank, other then those cold tile areas and darker areas are normally the places I also stay away from.

And why was he eating his tale as a baby? Sensitive to stress and attacking it?

Great me and my beardy both need psychologist lol

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Gormagon":1zsqbca4 said:
Do you by chance have a beard???

It's a serious question : male beardies regularly play up if there is a human male with dark coloured beard in the house.

Yet are sweet and relaxed with the lady of the house or the children.

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
Gormagon":2cd1yyno said:
Do you by chance have a beard???

When my little girl was about 3-4 months old, she ran on a rock that was only a 1 1/2 inches tall and puffed out her little baby beard at my brother who got close to her tank and bent down just to see her. He totally had a big ol beard! And here I though it was his big ol head :lol: :lol: :lol:

ROOMA

Original Poster
So, I have taken to letting him out when I am working out, his enclosure was right next to the weights. He goes to the other side of the house when I am at this. He will still wonder off til he freezes and I have to move him to a warm place in the basking area.(house is in the 40s right now)
I have also taken more effort to bond and positive reinforce my presence, IE I always offer a treat in my hand and slowly approach him when the enclosure is opened.
In regards to my beard, I had a black stubble....I am now taking effort to keep it more trimmed.

Results, no more hostility, no more biting or lunging. and he seems more calm. He also did something the other day. I left early morning before he normally starts his tank running. Came back to the expected salad everywhere paper towels mess. BUT he managed to injure himself and sort or walks with a hobble and does not put weight on his right front arm, just keeps it tucked to the side. He has since stopped his tank surfing and is very calm. Touching said arm and moving it does not seem to cause him pain or an aggressive response. I think he just pulled/bruised something. Beard is not black.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom