dragons toenail gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foolish

he was sitting in his hammock and at some point he toenail came off and he seems to be in pain is there any way to help him? and is there any recommendation to keep it from getting infected?
20190201_232127.jpg

20190201_232116.jpg

Foxxy76

My beardie has pulled a toenail before by hanging upside down on his screen. His Daddy didn't notice until it was too late and called me at work freaking out (then I freaked out). Love my dragon! Lol. But he was fine with some TLC and regrew his claw. He never got on the screen again either.
What we did was keep the toe clean ( and no loose substrate in cage) and apply anti-biotic ointment on it. Some people swear by raw honey as well. You may want to replace the mesh hammock with a cloth one if he's getting toe nails caught in it or cover the mesh with a blankie to prevent his nails getting caught.
I'm sure others will be on here too to give more advice. Take care!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sure that probably hurts a little bit but it doesn't look infected either. As suggested,
you can use raw, unpasteurized honey or antibiotic ointment on that area to help ward
off infection.
Are you using one of those fine, green mesh types of hammocks? A lot of them tend to
get their claws caught in those things. I recommend taking that out & either making one
out of solid material or purchasing one like that. He will like that type just as well.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Foolish

Original Poster
yea its one of those woven straw hammocks i have a blanket i can wrap it in. its probably for the better the nail that came off has been growing in wrong since he was a baby and trimming it wasn't helping so hopefully this sets it straight.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is the toe doing today? Does the area look infected or not? I hope it is feeling better.
Have you been able to change out the hammock?
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom