Need Some Help- Urgent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poplar

Hello! I can’t attach any pictures but my boy, who I believe is about 9 months old and I’ve only had for about 2 weeks randomly got very very dark today, including his beard. As a new owner, I’m unsure of what exactly this might signify!

The only things I can say are- Hes been quite active, and repeatedly stuck out his tongue.
I also have him some asparagus today, which his old owner said he loves. He has drunk, and has eaten his worms. His temps are correct! I tried to handle him today when he was lighter, but he seemed quite unhappy about it so I let him be.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Without pictures it will be hard to know what is happening. You can upload your pictures here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads then use the XIMG tab in the header of the reply page to put it on here!!!
Without seeing the pics I can only guess but it sounds like a bit of location stress combined with trying to soak up more heat as well. Like I said, not sure but just a guess.

Poplar

Original Poster
The heat thing would make sense, we had some pretty cold past few days and even with a good heater in my room, I can only keep my toom temp at about 70 F

Here’s the pics, I’m sorry they aren’t great but I’m rushing out the door for school and can try to get better ones when I return.

full

full

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Ya, he looks pretty stressed. On those cold nights, you might need to get a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) to keep him warmer at night.
How are you getting your temp readings?
Basking spot...95 to 100 elevated
Warm end......85 to 90 under basking spot
Cool end........75 to 80
If you get these right, he'll be fine once acclimates to his new home.

Poplar

Original Poster
Yeah his readings are around there, I also gave him a little square of fleece cause I read that they like those and I hoped it would help him stay warm

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
I hate to ask all of these questions but, here goes.

He does look a bit thin and,a little dehydrated, what are you feeding?
Is he eating Greens and, veggies?
What type of UVB are you using?

Once you get everything in place, these magnificent creatures are easily cared for.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
At 9 months old he should be eating bugs-- crickets or dubia roaches --- that is his main diet- I recommend dubia roaches -- they are easy to keep and dont cause parasites- he should be eating like around 6 or so each feeding - 1 dubia = 6 crickets-- they should be dusted w/ calcium d3 5 x per week and vitamins 2 x per week -- the roaches should be no larger than the space between the eyes- if hes not eating greens as much thats ok they dont usually start eating more of them till closer to a year old- his lights should be on for 12 hrs and off for 12 hrs-- you can bath him to prevent dehyrdation or you can put a drip of water on the tip of his nose to see if he will lick it off -- or you can always mist him too -- but you should offer him greens which should consist of mustard collard greens gr beans squash maybe a little fruit like apple mango strawberries blueberries etc -- no oranges -- citrus-- they can eat gr pepper on occasion -- there is a link to nutrition on the feeding page-- hope this helps ---

Karrie

Poplar

Original Poster
I typically feed him superworms with calcium and vitamins, which is what his old owner said he eats! I also give him some sort of veggie about 3 times a week, but he doesn’t always eat it. I’ll try some of the ones you listed that I haven’t tried yet though, to see if I can figure out his preference!

I’m unsure of what type uvb I use but it’s the one I was recommended to use by this sites care guide I believe!

As for dehydration, Sheldon refuses to drink unless I drip water right in front of his face, which I do twice a day and let him drink until he walks off.

I’ll defitnally try the roaches though!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Super worms should not be used as a staple feed -- they are a treat worm- such as butter worms meal worms etc horn worms-- meal worms are especially hard on the little ones --- please wean him off the supers and go for the dubias -- the UVB I take it is either the Reptison or Arcadia -- good that is crucial -- once you post pics of your set up we can help more if you need it

Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom