Beardie not eating!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bearded dragon Sunny is about 1.5 years old, and he isn’t eating. He is going into a small shed on his face and tail, which might be a reason. It is winter but it doesn’t get that cold where I live. It is around 50 degrees on average. I found out that his enclosure is not hot enough at all,which might be affecting his health. Does anybody know a really good brand for heat and uvb lamps? He has a very large enclosure so it needs to be a really good lamp. He also hasn’t pooped in a while and I am scared that he may be impacted. He doesn’t have any gravel or sand or loose bedding whatsoever and he doesn’t get over fed so Idk how he could’ve gotten this way.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The shed could be contributing to loss of appetite. Is he active or is he sleepy? I like T5 Arcadia 12% the best for UVB lighting. What does he have right now?

FrankTheBeardie223

Original Poster
CooperDragon":37744cvt said:
The shed could be contributing to loss of appetite. Is he active or is he sleepy? I like T5 Arcadia 12% the best for UVB lighting. What does he have right now?

He’s acting very lazy. Barely ever goes anywhere in his cage except for one general area. I am not sure what bulb I got. I threw out the packaging, but it is a long, skinny bulb.

EDIT: I found out what it is... it is the Zilla reptile slimline. It was around $30. I’m not sure if it is reliable or not.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The Zilla Slimline is a T8 fixture. Be sure the clear plastic is removed from in front of the bulb as that will intercept UVB and is sometimes overlooked. Do you have a Zilla Desert 50 bulb in it? (They come with it and it's stamped on the bulb itself). Those are OK in small tanks but not great in larger ones. The output drops off a lot beyond about 7''. If you have a tank larger than a 20g long then the T5 is the way to go.

FrankTheBeardie223

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3u0l7qv8 said:
The Zilla Slimline is a T8 fixture. Be sure the clear plastic is removed from in front of the bulb as that will intercept UVB and is sometimes overlooked. Do you have a Zilla Desert 50 bulb in it? (They come with it and it's stamped on the bulb itself). Those are OK in small tanks but not great in larger ones. The output drops off a lot beyond about 7''. If you have a tank larger than a 20g long then the T5 is the way to go.

Thank you. I definitely will track his weight. Do you know of any good heat lamps?

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
I have a tall, open-air enclosure for mine and had to put a small dog bed w/ thermostat under the carpet in order to get a section of it up to around 90* air temp on the ground. I have 2x 75 W white lights for the immediate area of his basking spot, and his cool areas range around 80* during the day to around 65-68* at night. I finally feel like I have things settled temp-wise, but it took an IR gun and a lot of time/effort/research! :study:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom