New Beardie Owner - Tips Appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all! My name is Tori and I recently acquired a bearded dragon. His name is Hector and I am told he is around 2 years old. My boyfriend works at a hardware and pet store and he was brought in by a gal who did not want to take care of him anymore, so we acquired him for free. Both of us wanted a bearded dragon but were not planning on getting one so soon but we just couldn’t say no. So, we are very new to this! Google has been a huge help but I would love some info from you knowledgeable people on here.

103165-7974753552.jpg

This is Hector. He has been eating well since we got him, which is a little under a month ago. He eats greens and some squash and occasionally some fruit. He also gets live crickets once a week (I gutload them) and I make sure to sprinkle the calcium powder that came with him on his food. I have been bathing him once a week and mist him with dechlorinated water daily. The warm side of his tank is around 100F and the cool side is around 80F. He has a Reptisun 10.0 bulb, a UVB bulb, and a ceramic heater set up. He is currently in a 55 gallon tank but we are hoping to upgrade to a bigger size, especially because he has started glass surfing a couple days ago.

I noticed his beard looks a little black underneath the scales/spikes since we’ve had him. Is that normal?

103165-9143472430.jpg

I just took this picture. This was right after I misted him.

I do not really know what to look for as far as the picture of health in a bearded dragon, so I am wondering if he looks healthy. We don’t have much info on where he came from. Thank you.

Hectorthebeardie

Original Poster
Terry15":458s43qv said:
Hector looks healthy and happy, Beautiful color. Here’s a good list of nutritious veggies.
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
I keep it bookmarked on my iPhone so I can refer to it while in the grocery store. Is Hector a snuggly dragon ? Sounds like you have fallen in love with him.

Thank you for your reply, I greatly appreciate it! And he seems to be kind of snuggly. He squirms a bit when you initially pick up up but once he’s on you he doesn’t mind at all. I think he enjoys being out and about. And yes, I am quite a devoted pet parent and even though I have never had experience with a reptile, he is now part of my family. Thanks again. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom