FB Dragon group elitism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fubardad

I joined a couple of FB bearded dragon groups and a question came up about someone else asking about using a bulb for UVB. While I admit the question wasnt really worded properly nor was any context given... the person just got fried.

I understand and accept the ignorance that another person can give, from any social media forum format, can be suspect but even when the moderators/admins allow the persecutors to just blatantly state "you are going to kill your beardy" or "coil bulbs blind beardies" is just plainly false and the moderators back up those statements by suggesting coil bulbs are bad and they recommend T8 tubes. Even after the OP said that he meant to write down that he is using a MVB for his UVB supplement.

Then once other people mentioned that MVBs were either used by professional herpetologists and to make sure the UVB and heat was correct and supplement it with a basking/CHE... the moderator would delete those posts. Reasoning? They didnt want to mislead other new people to think that it is ok to use MVBs because they were lumping MVBs as coil uvb bulbs.

There were references mentioned about old coil bulbs used to "blind reptiles" due to their make but they fixed that since 2008. But, it was the elitist attitude of not educating anyone but just do it this way and nothing else. And half the time they are giving, in my opinion, not great information like a T5 should never be inside the habitat. T8s are the only tube that should be allowed inside the habitat.

I just find it odd as a new person with a beardie trying to learn myself...

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
This is bar none the best forum on beardies anywhere. There are at times disagreements here but you won't find a more level headed + helpful mod. than Tracie [ Drache613 ] and not to mention she is a researcher with the lab that tests for + looking for a cure for atadenovirus. Sometimes there are differences here on bulbs + so on but it doesn't get out of hand like those types of groups.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I'd be ditching the Facebook group.

I suggest providing a link to the facebook group so we can warn NOOBs to avoid it (like we advise to ignore the poor advise given by know-nothing staff in petshop franchises).

In fact I'd be ditching Facebook and deleting your page entirely. Total waste of time and why help FaceBook Corp make money off your information.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, that is too bad that happened! I am on Facebook, BUT not a faithful follower. I am very
well aware of people's attitudes on there.
I agree, deleting people's posts is not my idea of being helpful either. Unless it is an outright
insult I don't think a post should be deleted, but instead just left for reading purposes or learning.
Or if any correction needed to be done.
If you need any lighting help, let us know. As AHBD mentioned, this forum is the absolute best
you will find on the web I agree. We all try here as a group, to provide the best & most accurate/
up to date information on as much as we can.

Tracie

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
I just ran into a fb group that seemed pretty good until a girl commented on how I am feeding my beardie wrong and she knows because she is a 3 year vet student, blah blah blah. To that end I was rather upset because she just attacked me out of nowhere...But then it made me wonder, I know Tracie is a vet, or so I've heard and thought I'd seek advice from her. I've spoken with her vet and they said that what I am doing is good, but never hurtful to seek more advice.

Tampico is a year and a month. Just came out of brumation, so her eating isn't fully up to par yet. I give her a nice big bowl mustard greens (I'll give more variety when she starts eating a bit more) and 3 large dubias every other day. I plan on adding some worms in a week or so, but just wanted some advice on my little girl.

Thanks so much!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That sounds like a decent diet right now, and as you mentioned more variety will def. be good . Greens like turnip, collards, dandelion, kale escarole, endive, and veggies like snap peas, green beans ans esp. squash.

Is Tampico a good size ? We always love to see pics. Here's how to post them if you like :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
AHBD":1roqjieo said:
That sounds like a decent diet right now, and as you mentioned more variety will def. be good . Greens like turnip, collards, dandelion, kale escarole, endive, and veggies like snap peas, green beans ans esp. squash.

Is Tampico a good size ? We always love to see pics. Here's how to post them if you like :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

Here she is...the best pics I have of her size at the moment... She's 14.5 inches (stubby tail) and 348 grams. Also, she just woke up from brumation last Sunday.

101206-7862575724.jpg
101206-3357105740.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She looks good for a sleepy girl. :) Just kidding, bright eyed + ready to bask. Nice set up BTW !

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
AHBD":2cslenox said:
She looks good for a sleepy girl. :) Just kidding, bright eyed + ready to bask. Nice set up BTW !

Thank you! She's the light of my life. Haha I just wanna make sure I'm not under feeding her or anything like that. That the big salad and large dubia and a few worms a week are good for her now. The girl kept insisting that I feed as many bugs she can eat within a 20 minute period twice a day and I kept insisting that Tampi doesn't need to eat like that because she's no longer a baby beardie and has slowed on her eating. The vet, the guys at the reptile store, and even research on here has told me that my schedule for her is and will be just fine. But she still made me wonder :(

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
At one year + one month she could be fed a bit more but definitely not 2 large feedings per day. The forums + facebook have a lot of overweight dragons that people think are the right size so people think they should be like that. A leaner dragon is almost always more active, mobile and has less chance of developing serious health problems including organ failure later in life.

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
AHBD":35nvruj2 said:
At one year + one month she could be fed a bit more but definitely not 2 large feedings per day. The forums + facebook have a lot of overweight dragons that people think are the right size so people think they should be like that. A leaner dragon is almost always more active, mobile and has less chance of developing serious health problems including organ failure later in life.

Okay, so I was thinking since she's now out of brumation, a large mixed salad every day, plus a few large dubia and few worms every other day would be good for her. I hadn't bought many new buggies/wormies for her since she went for her sleepy time back in November, so all I have now is just dubia and the greens. And yes, those beardies are definitely overweight and it breaks me heart to see that people don't really understand them. Tampi is constantly running around the house and climbing onto and into things. She probably get a good one-two hours exercise of just walking around the house when I let her out of tank.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Tampi looks to be in good shape . :) Your diet plan sounds fine, maybe add an extra day of bugs or offer them daily in smaller amounts. It's good that she eats greens though, so keep that up . :)

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
AHBD":26f1pwt3 said:
Tampi looks to be in good shape . :) Your diet plan sounds fine, maybe add an extra day of bugs or offer them daily in smaller amounts. It's good that she eats greens though, so keep that up . :)

Thanks so much for your help AHBD!!! I'll give her buggies/wormies 4 days a week instead of three :)

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Facebook is the worst place to try and, voice an opinion. To many internet bullies (because in the real world they would get a good stompin)' to many fakers and to much false information to give it any legitimacy. I only go there to laugh at stories and, memes, LOL!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom