Would it be best to give my dragon to someone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rowo

I got my bearded dragon, Phoenix, when I was 10 years old. He was 10 months old at that point. I am now 14. I bought him from a seller on Craigslist who was selling him along with his terrarium and lights. Being 10 years old I had already not done as much research as I should have done before getting a bearded dragon, and the only information the seller gave us was that Phoenix was 10 months old. After getting him, my mom and I did more research. We corrected his diet, gave him the correct lighting, and got him a bigger terrarium. We really love him. However, I don't think we are taking the best care of him. I wouldn't say he's being neglected because we feed him, clean his terrarium, and give him baths, but we don't play with him nearly enough. He lacks the personality that most dragons have. I love him, but I don't know if he's happy. He seems to be healthy, but we can't afford to take him to the vet which concerns me a lot. We treat any unusual behavior, but it's likely not enough. I don't take him out of his enclosure every day like the websites say to. I pet him and talk to him every day, but i don't think he's getting enough love. Timing makes it difficult to have him out every day. We also have 4 cats so taking him out means we have to keep him in a room separated from the cats. He's nearly 5 years old and I just don't think he's living his best life. Also, if he gets sick, we wouldn't be able to afford his treatment. With all of the research I've done, I can't come to a definite answer. Would it be the best thing to give him to someone who can take care of him better? I want him to have a happy life.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Your story makes me sad--- It sounds like you are doing a good job w/ him -- dragons are mainly a loner creature and if you are giving him attention and love he should be fine- vets are not that expensive for check ups- my reptile vet is around $40 for a check up-- I dont know where your live or if you have a reptile vet in your area but you can always google a reptile vet or call around your area-- do you want to rehome the dragon -- I would be afraid of it going to some one who would lose interest and not take care of him properly- at least you know you are taking care of him even if you think you arent doing a good enough job-- and yes its good you are keeping the cats away from him - I have 4 cats as well and I take Hiccup out but I am w/ him at all times so the cats arent bothering him - I have never had a issue w/ mine they just seem to not be interested in him cuz they are used to him but I still watch all the time - he is never alone w/ them -- it is your decision but from what I am reading it sounds like you are doing a good job and Phoenix is probably happy - you can usually tell --

Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree with Carrie. Don't worry too much about a vet visit, just Google to see that there is one for a potential emergency. If he's already 4 years old he's not going to develop MBD, parasites, etc. which are some of the main reasons for vet visits. Just take good care of him, you don't know if the next owner would be even less able than you are to take good care of him.

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
It's a personal decision, but just the fact that you would post something like this says to me that you are a caring person who is giving your little friend a better life than most beardies get. As long as he's getting good meals, good lighting, is protected from the cats and other predators, and gets some face time with his human from time to time, I don't know that there's much more he could ask for. :)

rowo

Original Poster
rowo":2n5l9hc1 said:
I got my bearded dragon, Phoenix, when I was 10 years old. He was 10 months old at that point. I am now 14. I bought him from a seller on Craigslist who was selling him along with his terrarium and lights. Being 10 years old I had already not done as much research as I should have done before getting a bearded dragon, and the only information the seller gave us was that Phoenix was 10 months old. After getting him, my mom and I did more research. We corrected his diet, gave him the correct lighting, and got him a bigger terrarium. We really love him. However, I don't think we are taking the best care of him. I wouldn't say he's being neglected because we feed him, clean his terrarium, and give him baths, but we don't play with him nearly enough. He lacks the personality that most dragons have. I love him, but I don't know if he's happy. He seems to be healthy, but we can't afford to take him to the vet which concerns me a lot. We treat any unusual behavior, but it's likely not enough. I don't take him out of his enclosure every day like the websites say to. I pet him and talk to him every day, but i don't think he's getting enough love. Timing makes it difficult to have him out every day. We also have 4 cats so taking him out means we have to keep him in a room separated from the cats. He's nearly 5 years old and I just don't think he's living his best life. Also, if he gets sick, we wouldn't be able to afford his treatment. With all of the research I've done, I can't come to a definite answer. Would it be the best thing to give him to someone who can take care of him better? I want him to have a happy life.

Sorry if I caused any concern. I tend to get very paranoid about these sorts of things. I love my lizard and I want to give him the best life I can. I’ve read a decent amount on bearded dragon neglect, and while it is informational, it scares me thinking I could be putting my dragon in any danger by doing the wrong thing or being careless. I’m nowhere close to giving him to a different owner, last night I was just overthinking a bit. Thank you for replying! It means a lot.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Thank you for coming around and, realizing that you are doing better with him than his last owners. You just love him and, do the best you can and, he will love you back...I Promise!!!

Thank You for keeping him!!!

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Sorry if I caused any concern. I tend to get very paranoid about these sorts of things. I love my lizard
Spoken like a true beardie slave (owner)! I don't think there's anyone on this board who isn't a bit paranoid when it comes to their dragon friends' health and wellbeing. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom