Help with feeding baby beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisey12

Hi

I have older bearded dragons which are fine with eating apart from the male he’s a bit fussy but anyway. We got a baby it’s our females baby and it’s 24 days old. First day it ate a few crickets not much and same next day. It’s had some hatchling Dubia Roaches aswell. What I’ve noticed when it’s eaten all these is when it’s caught them it seems to only have a bit in its mouth and rest hanging out and then eats bits and then bashes the rest on the floor but then it’s hanging out of its mouth for ages and not fully eating it. It’s opening and closing it’s mouth wide to get the food in but not managing. The food isn’t too big and it’s basking and moving around find not lathergic or anything. It’s had some water from dropping water on it’s nose.
I’m scared it’s not eating enough and also when it’s does not eating it properly and it’s going to choke.
Is there any other foods I can provide like tiny Calci Worms or anything else small. The new crickets I have are so small I’m not sure where I can feed them too the baby. I’ve tried to take it out and put it in a tub to feed but it’s not interested unless it’s in it’s viv.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
At that young he may still be learning a bit on the eating front. As long as he is active and eating a bit he's probably OK. I think some black soldier fly larvae/calci worms would be a good option for a young dragon as well. Offer 2-3 times per day and let him have what he wants. I'd probably track his weight to make sure he's steady or gaining as well.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Try snipping the heads off about 20% of the BSFL you are leaving in his dish, the smell of the more appetizing inards might get him eating , even if it's just pick out the ones that have been decapitated and taste nice.

Been my experience that my skinks and dragons have shown zero interest in BSFL unless I either hand feed them to them or I snip off the BSFL's heads and squeeze out some of the stuff inside them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom