Darwin

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I don't do everything to them every day. I have 3 girls now, Cierra 5 yr, Freya 1 1/2 and Grrrl about 6. And my boys, Castiel 4, and Nathaniel 5. My girls eat on their own so snuggles for them, outside time, too. I let them get around the apartment, so I'll be walking out of a room and one of them will be going into it. It's alot of fun. I'm home sick, bad back, so it's a bit easier to spend more time with them. They get their baths, water, liquid supplements, and food. Sometimes they spend too much time in their tanks, so I made it so they pretty much see each other. So the boys are down to just black beards when the girls are out (my 3 girls can be out at the same time, it's awesome and very well supervised) they've been doing the Spring Fever thing for the last two months, off and on. That's fun to watch, only not looking forward to eggs (infertile).

I've had 5 dragons for 10 years at least, because I rescue, and I keep them, even when they improve from when I got them I still lose them eventually. And another always shows up. It would seem wrong if I didn't have them. But then I'm an old crazy dragon mom :lol:

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
I was up late last night with insomnia and was watching movies when I heard an odd knocking on Darwin's tank around 1am. Little guy was pushed up against the glass head bobbing while still asleep. Must have been a pretty odd dream. I picked him up and he slept on my chest for a couple of hours and seemed to calm down. I take this and several other instances as proof that they do have dreams and can be comforted.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
They definitely dream and can definitely be comforted. I've never been able to catch them dreaming but I'm glad you picked him up. He must have been having a nightmare, poor boy :shock:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
They can sleep in the weirdest positions. And what a funny pose he got himself into. "help dad, I need to get out of here!!!" :lol:

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
Awww look at his big white belly. So cute! About the dreaming, I've caught Tampico dreaming a few times while sleeping on my chest. It's like she has these little nightmares. Her little body and head shakes and shivers and she tries to burrow deep into my chest. I always wonder what she's dreaming / thinking about.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
I often wonder what they dream about too. Darwin seemed to have a pretty bad nightmare last night so I took him out and held him for a while. I think the warmth calmed him back down. He was really startled by something though. Head bobbing and darting across his tank in his sleep.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
CooperDragon":2j64kyce said:
I often wonder what they dream about too. Darwin seemed to have a pretty bad nightmare last night so I took him out and held him for a while. I think the warmth calmed him back down. He was really startled by something though. Head bobbing and darting across his tank in his sleep.
Peaches used to do this too. I could pick her up and hold her and she would settle down right away. Ah the good memories!!!

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
Tamp, she shutters and lifts her head up like she's super alert, but she's sleeping. I just have to rub her and cover her up more and she eventually calms down. It's interesting to watch observe the same types of behaviors that you or I would have.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I know mine have had nightmares, so now I cover them all up at night when they fall asleep, that seems to keep them calm. I have beardie fleece blankets and pillows for all 5 of them, so they're pretty spoiled. I wonder what startled Darwin, glad you were there to calm him down. He's such a sweetheart :D

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Darwin is finally starting to calm back down from his hyper energy levels post brumation. After about 5 months of being off the wall he has gone from 60 to about 25. He is still eating pretty well in the morning but doesn't glass surf (or wall surf) and is usually getting sleepy in the afternoons. Hopefully it doesn't mean he's thinking about an early brumation. Weather is finally getting hot again here so he'll get time outside when I can provide it. He's still in good shape. Weight is stable at around 550g.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
Awww, Darwin, so glad he's in good health. Maybe he's taking a cue from my dragons. Castiel is already asleep, since before I moved May 1 to my new place. Now I'm down the hall from my kid and grandkids. See them every day. My son drives me 1/2 way to work to make it easier on me. :D

Nathaniel will be next, he's already sleepy. Then Cierra in August. Those 3 have been sleeping in the summer for 3-4 years now.

So I found an ingenious way to move dragons. I got 5 regular shopping bags, the type you buy, but had handy at home. Put thick towels on the bottom, wrapped the dragons in fleece blankets and loaded 1 dragon into each bag. They slept through the whole move and the week it took me to get their tanks up and lights on. 3 lights broke in the move, which was my fault. The 2 that needed replacement, of course, didn't break. So I had to buy 3 new lights as soon as I got into my new place. Love it, huge and cheap rent. The dragons are side by side along the side wall of the living room and they all fit with their furniture.

Has it been really rainy at your end? That can cause a slow down, too. Hopefully he holds off brumation for a few more months.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
I'm glad you are enjoying your new place! The trick with the bags is a really good idea. Especially if you're carrying several. It has been back and forth between very stormy and very hot. We've already had a few tornadoes here but no major damage in town. River flooding is still an issue on the Missouri and Mississippi. A lot of that has to do with snow melt and upriver rains though. Last year Darwin started to get pretty tired in late July as I recall (I'll check back on my thread a bit - I try to use this as a bit of a journal) I usually try to keep him awake until after labor day weekend since he loves going up to the lake in Minnesota so much. I'm hoping he is still asleep in November like he usually is since we will be traveling a lot and I don't want him to miss us. I'm looking forward to finally see his namesake city and pick up some more natural habitat light readings.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
It's fun to have my dragons up in the winter instead of the summer. I'm so used to it. Now waiting to see what Freya does, she'll be 2 in Oct. Grrl is still laying eggs, 1 a day, 3 so far. This is her 3rd clutch since I got her in November she was already laying eggs. She won't use a laybox, just digs up the newspaper and drops them over 2 weeks.

I'm glad Darwin likes to travel with you. Mind are homebodies because I am. I can't believe I retire next Dec. Next Jan I'll be checking out & applying for my 4 pensions. Not big ones but enough to live on.

Give Darwin a snuggle for me. I hope he stays awake until after Labour Day so he can get that trip under his belt before he sleeps.

My thread is my journal that goes back to 2010 I think...

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom