CHE Not Helping

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently got a 100 watt CHE per the suggestions here and its great for overnight keeping her air temps around 75. However during the day her tank doesnt get past 80 air temp on the warm side, which is what it was without the CHE. The tank is a 55 gallon with ceramic tile substrate and a 100 watt basking bulb on the hot side, 50 watt on the cool side to keep it somewhat warm over there.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Odd that is what I had in my glass 55 gallon and it kept it warm -- is the room cold that you have the tank in? That can make a difference especially w/ glass-- have you thought of insulating the glass sides and back w/ like a Styrofoam ? I know someone else on this forum insulated theirs cuz they were having same issues-- maybe some one else can weigh in on this issue and give you some more suggestions

Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Solid lid or open top (mesh lid) on the tank ?

If it's open topped , you need to get a solid lid made from either MDF , plywood or even some Masonite and mount the CHE , UV tube or bulk and basking globe UNDER IT.

The problem with open topped tanks is there is nothing stopping the warmed air created by the
basking globe
CHE
heatpad
from escaping immediately because warmed air is much more buoyant than cold air . The heater is essentially only providing heat via radiation heat transfer and any warm air created is pooling at the ceiling of the room and of no benefit to the dragon.

The solid lid suggested above will force air warmed by the CHE ( and the basking globe) to circulate and provide extra warmth and will help keep the tank warm overnight.

If you have a math / science / engineering bent this is how to calculate the heat lost currently :
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=236332&p=1816614&hilit=heat+transfer#p1816614

and this is the easiest way to fix this :
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=240221&p=1840683#p1840683

and more elegant is this :
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=246739

BabyBeardie13

Original Poster
I appreciate the help! One other question: can I put my CHE in a regular zoomed fixture like a basking bulb or do I have to use this wire cage like one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom