Feeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cjbrook

Hi

I am wondering if anyone can advise. My beady is approx 7.5 months old and refuses to eat fruit, veg etc. He loves crickets, wax worms and meal worms and loves loves loves water cress. I have tried him with strawberry, mango, blueberry, apple, carrot, cabbage leaf and he just refuses to eat it. I am worries that he isn’t getting enough nutrients. I have tried not giving him crickets for a day to see if that would make him want the fruit as he would have been proper hungry. Really don’t know what else to do.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Claire

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
At that age he is probably still growing and needs plenty of protein. It's common for younger dragons to ignore veges in favor of bugs but keep offering them. As his growth slows at around 12-18 months he should start slowing down on bugs and get more into his salads. Is he active and alert? If so, then he's probably OK and I'd keep feeding him 1-2 meals of bugs a day. At around 12 months slow that to 1 bug meal a day and decrease to once or twice per week by around 18 months and continue to offer salad daily.

Cjbrook

Original Poster
Aw thanks for that, it’s made me feel better. I keep reading things saying he should be eating a little veg and that if he isn’t eating them now it’s harder to get them onto it. He is so active, he has a mad 10 minutes per evening running round and swinging off his bridge.

I will carry on what I was doing then and as he gets older I will do what you have suggested.

Thanks again :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Some of them dig into veges at a young age but it's really an individual preference I think. More often than not they will ignore salad and wait for bugs and I think that's OK up until they are fully grown. Adults need a variety of veges to stay healthy and not go overweight. Too many bugs and a high fat diet at that point can cause problems with kidneys and liver among others. It's good that he has an active period. That usually signals he is happy and healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom