Advice about hammack

Status
Not open for further replies.

reptilemaster

Sub-Adult Member
So I got this mat hammack for Blaze to climb and bask on, but I don't think she likes it.
DSCN1489.jpg

She does climb and bask on it, but she appears annoyed with how it moves.
DSCN1490.jpg

Also she sometimes black beards when basking on it.
I saw her get her feet tangled in it and had to pick her out :(
My mom thinks it looks great, but I keep having to rearrange it when I see her having trouble and I put it in a new position to see if thats better.
DSCN1491.jpg

Last after these photos I changed it but it looks like she's too close to the uv light now.
So should I just take it out?

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
I ordered the same one but I’m already second guessing that decision. It’s not arrived yet but upon googling I found loads of threads about hammock safety and many dragons have gotten their toes /nails stuck so I’m thinking I won’t be putting mine in.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's important to gauge their reactions to changes in their housing. If she doesn't appear to like it, then I'd remove it and try something else. Maybe try a smaller fleece hammock held up with command hooks. The fleece won't get tangled in her claws and a smaller hammock (Triangle in the corner perhaps) isn't going to move as much.

You could also try things like flat piece of driftwood which she may enjoy and also look nice in the tank. You could lean them up against the habba hut to create a basking ramp. Lots of good options out there for tank decor. Just don't force her to live with something she doesn't seem to enjoy as that defeats the purpose.

reptilemaster

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Ok thanks I think I'll take it out.
Actually I've got an idea, she seems to get herself all cold smushed in the corner, but with the hammack she stays on it and is always warm. I think I'll leave it in for the winter and have it alongside her basking wood. The only thing is she looks a bit close to the uv light, so I'll adjust it.

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
Mine arrived today and now I am not sure whether to try it... on further google hunting it appears it’s the canvas style green hammocks that are a hazard for beardie toes and nails...

I purchased the same one for our 5 yr. and he didn't seem to care much for it. On a FB post someone posted their little dragon leaning up against it with his head resting on the rope. He was fine and the owner posted it as something cute and others agreed, however all I could think of was get that out of there. Maybe I worry to much.
I was going to share the one we had for years for our beardie, but not sure how to do that. Amazon if you search for Carolina Cages you will see them.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I don't like hammocks at all for the reasons mentioned. All it takes is one foot to get sprained and then you have a lame dragon. They don't support the body either, forcing them in to an unnatural position for long periods. A nice piece of driftwood is much better. :)

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
AHBD":7l5mvj8f said:
I don't like hammocks at all for the reasons mentioned. All it takes is one foot to get sprained and then you have a lame dragon. They don't support the body either, forcing them in to an unnatural position for long periods. A nice piece of driftwood is much better. :)

I ended up being too scared to use it so it’s gone to someone who I know that uses them anyway for all her dragons. The chance of getting a foot / and or nail stuck before he jumps was too big of a risk for me

reptilemaster

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
MarlowAndMe":1bg0jdnu said:
AHBD":1bg0jdnu said:

I ended up being too scared to use it so it’s gone to someone who I know that uses them anyway for all her dragons. The chance of getting a foot / and or nail stuck before he jumps was too big of a risk for me

Yeah, that sounds good I took out out a few days ago, and she seems happy again.

Lorilyn

Hatchling Member
I used to have a plastic hammock and my girl loved it but she kept getting toes stuck. I replaced it with a fabric hammock and she loves it even more. My son bought it at a reptile show but you can find them on Amazon also. Here is a pic of her and her new hammock.
97320-3813080602.jpg
It looks small in the pic but its really not. She is large (21 inches) and fits on it with plenty of wiggle room. And yes she even loves the pillow. I would never use any other type of hammock after finding her stuck hanging from the other one. Thankfully she was not hurt but really upset for a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom