Darwin

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
sweetiepie9":2yx86vrr said:
Awww, poor boy, how long did you make him keep it on? The things we do for Halloween.

Only a minute or two. Enough to snap a photo. He was a very good sport about it and got some black soldier flies and pumpkin guts as a treat =)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
I think his UVB light is finally starting to go. I'm only reading about 2-2.5 UVI at 12''. Was a good run. Bought that bulb for Dundee in July 2014! I have a 22'' ReptiSun on hand that I was testing but it isn't even putting out that much which is disappointing. I have a 22'' Arcadia around here somewhere that I'll try to dig up. A new 36'' is on order either way. His MegaRays are still going strong at 6-10+ UVI. the newer one still has a REALLY intense core beam that I'm not crazy about but doesn't seem to bother him at all.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I've been using Arcadia MVB's but only 80W as my dragons don't like to be hot. They're in a 40 gallon most of the day when I work, so I keep it cool so they can stay under their light all day, which they do. I have found them the longest lasting of any bulb I've tried. They don't have that hot thing you're talking about at all and last sometimes over 15 mo. I have a metre to make sure UVB is ok, too, it's saved me lots. I'm sorry about that but he's sort of sleeping, so you'll have the 36" soon. I'm glad I converted everything, it cost a bit because I had to get step up;step down converters, I have 3 for 5 lights. I have a small one to get another & put on the ramp, instead of the household bulb they sit under for now.

I tried to get Megaray, but because I live in Canada, they were going to charge me $350 for shipping for 5 lights. I already had the lampstands, so only ever get the lights. I told them I'd never do that. I pay about $17 for a couple of lights & that's from Maine to lower BC, Canada. So I never bothered with them. It's better for reptile supplies when you live in the States, as every company I deal with I pay lots of shipping and then exchange. Not like you guys. I recently bought some supplies for a friend with a sick dragon. It cost almost 1/2 less for cost and shipping than what I would pay for the same thing.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
sweetiepie9":1ycp9mg3 said:
It's better for reptile supplies when you live in the States, as every company I deal with I pay lots of shipping and then exchange.

yes, to an extent. I always envy the folks in the UK. They seem to have access to the most cutting edge stuff.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I know a few people in the UK and Wales. They seem to get alot of supplies because it costs a fortune to get stuff from the USA. And Canada has only 1 shop for reptiles, too, liquid calcium and vit/min included. So I buy from them for some things, but most of my supplies come from Florida or Texas. There just isn't much up here for dragons. I was lucky that my hubby worked in a pet shop in 2009 for a year and brought alot of supplies/furniture home. So we finally had enough to have 5-40 gallon tanks in the living room, all furniture done, and low as no tank tops. I use Arcadia MVB bulbs, 3 are 80W and my dragons love that light. I also have a couple of 100W for my two youngest girls, Freya and Grr.
Freya will be in an 80W as soon as I have the funds to buy one. Then the 100W will go on top of the ramp. So they can stay out longer and get UVB on outside time.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Little guy was an escape artist yesterday. We were out for the day and he wound up pooping in his tank (fairly rare for him) and wanted to get away from it. Saw on the camera recording that he was glass surfing like crazy on the far side of the tank (from the poop)and it looks like he was able to jump and just catch the edge of the zip tie mount holding one of his temp probes along the glass. He hoisted himself up and over the tank onto the floor. When we got home and saw an empty tank it was quite a surprise. Found him after a few minutes sleeping under one of the chairs in the dining room. Crazy little guy. He's totally fine, just a funny story. Shows what that extra little boost of energy they get after brumation can do. He's running around the house like a madman for the last several days.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
They are so funny when they get out, they run around and find a place to sleep. Nathaniel was lost in my small 1 bedroom apartment for 4 nights. I could hear him but couldn't find him. I finally did and he was fine, but jeez...he's the worst for that. I found Castiel in my room, almost under the armoire :roll: I give them free roam because they are safe (I'm in a condo on the 3rd floor), plus Bella , my dog, considers herself their guardian. :D I also have a new girl, her name is Grr, but I'm changing it to Girl. So Nathaniel and Castiel woke up from brumation & they're going through Spring Fever for the last 2 months. Not sure what they'll do when Freya and Cierra wake up. I'll have to take a video :lol:

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
You have no idea, especially Castiel and Cierra and Freya are back asleep. Cierra won't make up until end Feb, she sleeps exactly 6 months, almost to the day. Freya not sure, I just got her in Jan. She was tiny, so never figured out her age, then was told she was older than she looked. Well, she's a bundle of energy now & I will be very surprised if she doesn't lay eggs. She bugged Gabriel for months when she moved in, then Nathaniel. So yes, when those two wake up, especially Cierra, there will indeed be chaos. Castiel puts his belly against the glass, holds himself there using his basking log and shows himself off to the girls. He trashes his tank daily and last year bruised himself so badly I had to have a biopsy done. He lost a row of spikes just behind his ear and the spikes were black. Turned out to be a deep bruise, he must had whacked himself at some point against the glass or something in his tank. And he's 4, he should be slowing down but he's not. Nathaniel is a horndog but not like Castiel. Those two go and it's a real chaotic scene. I'll try to get it on video when Cierra wakes up.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Darwin is still pretty energetic but has been focusing his energy toward the tree (before we removed it for the year) and toward the kitchen cabinets. I figured he just wanted to climb through it but a couple of nights ago saw a mouse near the tree. Seems like he sensed the mouse and was trying to get after it. I set a trap and caught the mouse overnight. Found some signs of mouse activity in an area of the basement and set another trap there. Caught three mice overnight last night and released them in the same spot as the first. Cleaned out the cabinets in the kitchen completely and found remnants of a mouse nest in a drawer that wasn't used. Darwin was a good little alarm sensing this before it became a big infestation! Side note: mice LOVE crackers with peanut butter on top...

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
So very glad he didn't try to catch one but isn't he a good security alarm system. He is a marvel. I'm glad you got rid of them. They're nasty when they're multiples. Give Darwin a hug from us all :D and HAPPY NEW YEAR :D

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
It has gone by quickly. I can't believe he's 4 already. I hope I have many more good years with him. I've had him longer than I had Cooper which is hard to believe but Coop was a few months shy of 3 when he died.

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
It's so hard to lose them, especially so young. I lost Imp at 2 yrs old, hardly had time with him and he was gone. And Gabriel, but then he was under a death sentence from 2016 onwards with the aneurysm. So I'd already been grieving for him for 2 years. I just knew he'd lost the fight and it ws time to let him go.

Now I have all 5 up and running around. Grrl, Freya and Cierra seem to be chilling out together, so that's a surprise. And my boys are in constant Spring Fever since Grrl moved in early November, but with Freya and Cierra up, hormones are running through the air. A bit early, but eventually the boys will get too tired and lose interest. For someone who had 5 boys 5 years ago, I now have 3 girls, 6, 5 and almost 2. So I see eggs in my future....sigh....

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom