Keeping two beardies questions for those that own multiple

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
So right now I just have Marlow 1yr old boy.
BUT we are contemplating getting young baby boy or baby girl bearded dragon and have some questions on how that works for others owning two

I know they need seperate vivs. No issue and no worry.

1: say I get a girl -I’ve seen some members on here are able to do out of viv ‘playtime’ with A male and a female- how do you do that?? Do they only come into season at certain times of the year? I know when it’s a baby I can’t do that due to size difference but is it safe to later?

2: say I get a boy- i know absolutely they cannot be out together - but how badly do they dislike each other? Like are they not allowed to see each other at all? Marlow’s viv is in the lounge , if we are in the lounge also with the other boy and Marlow’s in his viv will that be too stressful for him to see?

3: what gender do you recommend as second one and why?
Or if you recommend it’s better for me NOT to get a second one why?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Get a girl.

Even if you will never let the pair mate , you will then get to their rich body language when they see each other (one in the floor say ,the other in his or her tank).

Your best bet is STACKING their tanks , I'd have the girl in the bottom tank so she only really sees the boy when he's free ranging on the floor or being nursed by someone.

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Stacking vivs isn’t a option unfortunately as I have domes on top of the vivs with basking and che in them and I can’t use a rack shelving system as I need the vivs to be extremely secure as I have very young children

Marlow’s is on an extremely long and sturdy coffee table which was just a lucky find on a for sale page. I’m looking out for something similar with plans to have the new viv set up the same

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
Original Poster
It sounds cute that they will interact if I get a girl, but the laying infertile eggs worries me and it sounds more stressful for that reason than having a boy

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The thing with beardies is that they are all different. Some males will go crazy seeing another dragon whether it's male OR female. They instinct to fight or mate is different in every male. Some are real head banging, foot stomping chargers that jump on any other beardie. Others kind of look, may black beard a little and may even show a submissive stance. Some males actually tolerate each other, esp. if they grown up together. You never know what their reaction to other dragons will be. Seeing a female is O.K for some males but a dragon with a very strong mating drive will get upset, they can see what they want but can't have it. So to a degree it's a bit cruel. They have a very strong urge but can't do anything about it and seeing the female can stress them out pretty badly.

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I definitely do not want it to become a teasing situation for him. Plus the eggs thing worries me as I’m already a over protective owner when it comes to my boy Marlow lol!

We have barely any breeders where I am ( there is probably only about 10 breeders in all of New Zealand actually) and the one I wanted to get a baby from just laid all infertile eggs this time around anyway so it likely would be this time next year that new babies are born now (it’s summer here).
I haven’t been through a winter with Marlow yet since I adopted him in last spring and so it’ll give me time to get through that stress first time as a new beardie parent first also.

Thanks for the replies guys :) it helps a lot to hear all this before deciding to bring/ not to bring , a second dragon home.

I’m leaning towards just keeping one at a time right now but will see how I feel when the time comes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LiamYe
Top Bottom