Always basking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Robert spends nearly all his time on his basking ledge (where he is in the photo below). He occasionally sleeps in his hammock, very rarely will climb on the wood in the middle (maybe once every 4-5 days for a few minutes), has never gone in his habbahut, and only goes on the ground to catch crickets. I have a good temperature gradient across the cage (even borrowed a temp gun from my husband's lab that we know is accurate to make sure mine was reading correctly) - the left side is between 74 and 78, the centre is usually around 84 at the bottom and up to 94 at the top of the wood, the hammock is around 90 - 94 and the basking ledge is 105 -110 (which seems almost too hot).

I've tried rearranging things, different combinations of logs/diftwood/rocks, etc, but he still just sits on the ledge. Should I try increasing the temps throughout his tank, since he seems to like those higher temps all the time? Try some new items/arrangements to tempt him? Or just accept this as his personal preference?

full

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
It sounds like hes found his favorite spot--where is his UVB?
Karrie

TinyBeagle

Original Poster
His UVB is suspended from the cross bar of the tank lid on the right hand side - you can sort of see it if you look closely at the pic. So it’s about 10 inches above his ledge, which should be good for it I think (Reptisun T5 10.0). I guess it is just a favourite spot - I’ll have to sort out what to do as he gets bigger, as he takes up almost all of it right now!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Well he's getting both so he's good- wouldn't worry about him- I am assuming he's eating good? Pooping?
Karrie

TinyBeagle

Original Poster
Yep, he's eating tons (20-25 crickets twice a day, greens at lunch time, hornworms every couple of days as a treat), pooping regularly, and growing quickly. He's healthy and seems generally happy (still a bit unsure of being picked up and skittish outside his tank), so I guess I shouldn't worry!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He's good then -- just hold him work w/ him- he will get used to it- they like to cuddle and sleep on you- they like soft blankets like fleece etc-- pamperedbeardies.com has accessories for beardie
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom