How often should basking bulb need replaced?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
I have a 75w Arcadia wide flood bulb for basking.
It’s 12-13” from basking spot

Marlow’s a year old in two days time so I know he doesn’t need it as warm as a young one but the Basking temp may be too low? It’s around 90f about an hour after lights on, 95f by lunchtime and then around 100-102f by around 3.30pm late afternoon (he’s usually in cool end by this point and doesn’t return to basking again ) the basking bulbs been in about 3months now so im not sure if changing that out will up the temps a bit or if it should still be good after 3months?
Or should I change to a 100w bulb?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The bulb replacement depends on the bulb. When I used reptile bulbs they'd blow out after a month or two sometimes. The current ones I use will last 3-4 months usually. I think dimming may be a bit harder on them but I'm not certain. They seem to burn hot at first and then kind of break in a bit. When they fail, they just burn out suddenly though so it's good to have extras on hand. I mentioned some thoughts on bulb options you have earlier but wanted to post info in the thread in case people come across it later.

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you :) the Arcadia flood I have now hasn’t blown but it’s no longer holding temps where they were after 2months of use. I just now purchased the 70w one from this photo so I’m going to try that as a breeder I know said she uses these and they have been going strong for almost a year. I’ll update here in a few weeks to say whether I had luck with it or not :)
101427-2318313718.jpg

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Within 5 mins of turning it on his basking spot was 50c (122F!!!) , I’m going to take it back tomorrow to swap for a 42w of the same one

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Geez that's a bit much! I wonder if there is a 60w version to try as well if the 42 cuts too much power.

MarlowAndMe

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Nope not here , only the 42w and the 70w but the breeder I spoke to said the 70w she uses in her 70cm tall vivs so that will be why they suit her adults but not my viv ( since mines only 47cm tall. She showed me a photo of her temp readings with the 42w which is in her 5month olds viv and at 37cm to basking spot and it was 41c ( 105f) so I’m thinking that will be too high for my boy as he hates it over 38c.

I put in my new one of the Arcadia wide flood 75w that I had in the cupboard as a spare and now his temps are perfect now at 37.5c
I just hate that they lose heat after 3 months as they are $16 each for those ones here

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's disappointing that they don't last very long. I hope the 42w winds up working. If it's too hot right under the bulb though, he'll just sit to the side a bit which is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom