Substrate questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkestfallen

Beardie name(s)
darkestfallen
So I read on here that sand is a no go for babies because of impaction issues. My fiona is getting into this stage where she likes to try and dig and burrow. When is it ok to change from a mat substrate to sand?

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Doesn't matter about age, sand is not a good substrate at all. Anything loose can be ingested and, cause impaction. I don't take chances with my dragons health because I think something might look better. The risk is way to high to do that, LMO!!!
You can cut up some fleece and, put it in a corner for your dragon to burrow in.

Darkestfallen

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
darkestfallen
Ok thanks. She really likes trying to dig around and burrow so I want to be able to let her explore that.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Do not on any circumstances use a loose substrate for your beardie if you wish for them to Live a happy and healthy life.

My baby dragon is a big burrower, and His substrate is paper towels, and he has this special back right corner of his tank that he goes to every night and burrows under the substrate, and the glass floor of his tank was rather cold. So I got fleece strips and lined the back right underside of the paper towels with fleece scraps, they work great, they're soft and warm and he loves them.

View media item 60547 This is Rocket's special spot that he sleeps in every night.

LukeM88

Its best to wait until they are an adult. But if your beardie really likes digging and burrowing and you want to encourage activity and an enriching life over a sterile one there are options. With proper husbandry a bioactive setup can be amazing for the life health and behavior of a beardie. For a more sterile “safe” substrate id reccomend excavator clay. Very low risk of impaction but perfect for digging and burrowing. If you plan on Bioactive id reccomend Terra Sahara by the biodude. Replicates the actual conditions of soil that beardies have lived on for longer than us humans have existed!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've also had good luck using fleece. Small fleece blankets or fleece strips, as mentioned earlier, are a good way to let them burrow and dig while not getting their nails caught and it's easy to clean.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
LukeM88":3p7977o6 said:
Its best to wait until they are an adult. But if your beardie really likes digging and burrowing and you want to encourage activity and an enriching life over a sterile one there are options. With proper husbandry a bioactive setup can be amazing for the life health and behavior of a beardie. For a more sterile “safe” substrate id reccomend excavator clay. Very low risk of impaction but perfect for digging and burrowing. If you plan on Bioactive id reccomend Terra Sahara by the biodude.
Yes but, a bioactive bearded dragon vivarium is very hard to create and such without any problems, With a sterile enclosure your dragon still has many things to enrich themselves with,
And not all beardies like to burrow and such, it truly differs with each dragon, But for a proper bioactive enclosure, I would recommend it being probably at least a 4x4x4 or a 4x6x4 size enclosure, and Exceptional husbandry and care and care things, which aren't too easy to obtain, see this post: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=243890&hilit=Sand+or+mulch#p1858173.

Loose substrates may look nicer, and may have some digging opportunities, but if you want to go the safe route, Use a non loose substrate and if your dragon has their heart set on digging, get a small box/bin and put in fleece scraps or eco earth for burrowing.

LukeM88

I see why Bioactive seems hard but i do disagree with requiring perfect husbandry. The biodude kits basically handle all the hard parts and after initial set up you just need to water your enclosure lightly once a week and replace leaf litter once a year. Creation is a breeze and being able to chase CuC and munch on growing plants as well as burrow stimulates activity and health that outweighs impaction risks that can be negated so long as you are taking care of your beardies needs.

Darkestfallen

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
darkestfallen
Thank you all for addressing each concern with thorough thought. You have all given me much to study and more to try.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
LukeM88":31ghtkdq said:
I see why Bioactive seems hard but i do disagree with requiring perfect husbandry. The biodude kits basically handle all the hard parts and after initial set up you just need to water your enclosure lightly once a week and replace leaf litter once a year. Creation is a breeze and being able to chase CuC and munch on growing plants as well as burrow stimulates activity and health that outweighs impaction risks that can be negated so long as you are taking care of your beardies needs.
A bioactive substrate is a BAD idea for bearded dragons. The pleasing aesthetics are not worth the health risks to the dragon or worth the effort to keep the bioactive substrate/microclimate "healthy".

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
kingofnobbys":394nv19x said:
LukeM88":394nv19x said:
A bioactive substrate is a BAD idea for bearded dragons. The pleasing aesthetics are not worth the health risks to the dragon or worth the effort to keep the bioactive substrate/microclimate "healthy".
I wholeheartedly agree, If you had to do a bioactive viv, Your husbandry NEEDS to be Outstanding before and after doing the Bioactive vivarium, It's too hard to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carsed
Top Bottom