strange behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugin1988

Hello !!

I am new at this forum , and i am not a english speaker , so sorry if its difficult for you to understand me, ill try my best.

i got my little beardie since 5 months , so it is about 7 months old now.
since 2 weeks ago , Ugin ( her name) stops eating, sometimes she eats a little green , and fall asleep literally every day , i dont know if is brumation, because sometimes she go and spend a lot of time running in her enclosure. when we take her out to clean her, she seems to be health and active, but in the enclosure , she goes to her cave and sleep , some days she was sleeping literally the whole day.
the previous months she eats everything, crickets, cockroaches, greens, and some worms.
we havent never problem handling Ugin so i think is brumation but i dont know so i ask for advice here

Thanks !!
sorry for the english

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
It is possible this is brumation, though at 7 months that would be pretty young for that to happen. What are the temperatures in the cage and in the basking spot? What kind of ultraviolet light are you using? Pictures of the setup might help.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree more information about your enclosure and lighting will help. Sometimes they go through phases in which they slow down and that is normal. It is a good sign that she is active and awake when out of the enclosure. Do you record her weight? I would keep notes on her weight and see if she is losing weight over time or gaining weight over time. That helps to determine health.

If you want to share pictures, you can upload them here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them by pressing XIMG when you respond.

Ugin1988

Original Poster
hello!!

First of all thanks for your answers

she isnt losing weight and yes gaining , but much slower than before

her basking spot is about 100 degrees with a cooler zone with 75/80 degrees, today she was sleeping in the cooler area for the whole day .

and the light is a 10.0 fuosforescent tube, now i cant tell more details about the tube, tomorrow ill send pics and more information, in my country is night now, so tomorrow morning ill post some pics

Thaaaaanks =)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Stable weight is a good sign. Your temperatures sound good too. She many just be going through a slow down phase which is normal. Please do provide more information about the UVB light when you can. Distance of the light above her basking area is helpful along with brand and size information.

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Ugin1988":3ehgz4fa said:
the brand of the tuve is reptolux and is about 3,3 feet long
That's a nice looking enclosure (and dragon) :) ! I am not familiar with this brand of light. Do you know how many watts the bulb is? Is there a silver-colored reflector behind the bulb in the light fixture? Also, does it say 5.0 or 10.0 on the box? Depending on the answers, the tube may be too far away or too weak to be providing the correct amount of UV. I have an T5 HO fixture with a reflector and a 12% Arcadia "desert" bulb. The bulb hangs about 24" (60 cm) from the bottom of the cage, and about half that from his basking spot.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree that a reflector should be mounted behind the bulb to make it as efficient as possible. You may need it to be a little closer too. It looks like a 36'' T8 bulb. I don't know what you have available near you, but something like this is what I'm describing: http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/arcadia-t8-36-lamp-reflector/

Do you have a basking light? I see ceramic heat emitters but I don't see a bright basking light. I suggest using something like this to provide a warm, bright basking area (along with the UVB light). https://www.bulbs.com/product/70BR40-HEA-FL

Ugin1988

Original Poster
the bulb was a gift for buying the terrarium,i dont find now the box.

should i buy new one?

i have too a lamp which emits heat and light, ill going to search the box ( i have the box of this one)

TY

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I haven't seen those and don't have test results to tell you how much UVB it outputs. I'd probably use it and adjust the height based on the surface temperatures you read after running it for a bit. It should be nice and bright, so better than just the CHE. If it doesn't get hot enough, you can use both together.

Ugin1988

Original Poster
i bought a basking light , and set up in the terrarium.

but she is still acting letarghic, thought she isnt losing weight i am very concerned about this

another tip?

the vet look at her and said that she looks okay, because if i remove from her cage she acts normally even running a bit, but in her cage she goes under a cave and sleep in

Thanks again

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If the vet said she looks OK and her weight is stable, she may be OK. It's good that you got a basking light for her. Did you get a reflector for her UVB light as well? That will help provide stronger UVB for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom